NEED SOME HELP QUICK! Rescued a bunch of fish. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
NEED SOME HELP QUICK! Rescued a bunch of fish.

saw an ad pop up giving away free freshwater fish. I contact the guy and he says i need to come right away or they are going to someone else. so i went.

he never mentioned type of fish.

i get there and i see the tank and omg was it ever a mess. the glass and fake plants were covered in algae of all kinds. broken filter. dim light. i could hardly see what fish was in there.

he has had these fish for over a year.

the fish are:
1 red tail cat fish (no fins)
2 some kind of skirt tetra??! i have to get a better look at them but i believe its a skirt tetra.
1 kuhli loach
1 beta male
1 blue gourami female i believe.
and 2 5" ish plecos not really sure on id of these but i think one is a candy cane pleco or something like that.

i brought a cooler with me and he gave me a 300w jager heater. the cooler is a 50g. filled it with some of his gross water and put the fish in.

I am home now and the fish are in the cooler with the heater and a water pump. i been adding fresh treated water (3/4 cup) every 10 min or so. will do this for a while.

When i tested his tank water the ph and nitrates were OTC. i don't know how these fish were alive. he had no food, no water treater, no pump, hardly any light and yeah.. sad...

I also added some stress coat and prime to the existing water.

going to try and get the water stable and then slowly transition to my tank.

I am not really worried about disease, I know that might be a weird thing to say considering the condition of the tank. But if these fish had any disease they would have died LONG time ago.

probably some of the hardiest fish out there to survive that mess of a tank.

how do you guys think i should move forward?

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
First this is what I get into and when I put them where I see they fit best, Folks on the forum get hostile about my "mish-mash" of fish. Just ignore the critics if that comes around. The other choice seems a bit more harsh if you trash them now!
For where to put them while you decide, it sounds like you have done reasonably well. So step two is where else can they go? Do they fit with other fish you have, even on a temporary basis or do you need to offer them up to others, trade them or such? Much of the decision will have to be a judgment item with careful watching.
Sounds like you are up on the risks of adding them to your existing tank, etc.
If you tell us what you have in tanks and fish stock now, there will be all kinds of info on where you might want to put them.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

75g planted is my only tank.

I have a planted vase for the betta.

in the 75g i have
1 golden ram
25 cardinal tetra
4 pearl gourami
8 cory cats
1 bnp

i think i am giving the catfish to the lfs near me.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

As long as you are aware of the risks involved on disease, I see no immediate disasters with adding them. It would make me nervous but we are all paranoid! The Plecos do sound too large and the whole bunch will require extra attention. Both to the fish interaction as well as the sudden increase in bio load. Keep the fresh water handy! You may have to work double time to keep it in line.
I might leave the plecos and the red tail in the cooler for some time until I could decide/work out, trades. Keeps them away from loading the other tank so heavy and they will most likely be okay in the cooler. Plecos are nasty but they are tough also. The red tail is suspect as far as fungus so it might not be bad to QT him for a bit.
Best of luck. All you can do is what you feel will work.
When I trade for tanks and they come with fish, I look at it as a major improvement for them and if they struggle it is still far better than the trash can alternate.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

good point. thanks for the advice.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you could RAOK them if you don't want them im sure someone will give them a good home.

''To screw up a 180g does not take much, to fix up a screwed up 180g is an effort beyond most mortals.''
first planted tank 180g

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(I'm 13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You will want to condition their water to be similar to yours if that is where they will end up. I pretty sure it will involve adding small amounts of your water over time, but how much and what time maybe someone else can advise better than I.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

RAOK is a good option in some cases. But then it does have some things about it that make or break the good side. One is that you have to find people who are willing to put a little effort into getting things for free! As I have done trades and wound up with unwanted fish in the past, I have learned a bit about human nature. If you offer it up for free, some tend to think you have to get rid of it and may ask you to deliver the item! So far I have spent considerable time taking pictures and listing things and been really disappointed with the response I get. Too many think they want things but are not organized enough to actually show up so that has left me holding a bag of fish for a day or so and then still chucking them in the trash. Large plecos fall into this category. I don't want them, fish shops won't take them and people don't come to get them. Also RAOK is not an option for placing fish when it is nine o'clock at night which it may be when you get the tank all moved to your house.
So we do what we have to do and let the chips fall where they may. I don't pass up a bargain on equipment just because it has something worthless swimming in it.
As far as I can see, the OP is doing what needs to be done. Some of the fish have value to him, some may not. He is doing what he can to take care of the fish and that is all I would ask of anybody. Life may not be grand for those fish but life is like that for most of us.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Actually I have adopted unwanted fish but would never think of it without asking what type of fish.
Protocol for me is four to six week's quarantine for the fishes before I would consider placing any of em with my otherwise healthy fishes.
Would perform small water changes on holding tub daily lest a large water change have negative effect on fish that may not have had any water changes for some time.
Best to perform small water changes so fish can adapt slowly to improved condition's.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is it a red tail CATFISH or a retail SHARK? Reason I asked is that the redtail CATFISH get huge and eat stuff and the redtail SHARK get up to around 6" and are only a little aggressive.

|||
|||
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Its an Id shark with none of its fins.. So sad.

I tried asking what type of fish but he was clueless.

I drove out 40min to get them and a free 300w Eheim jager heater. I had to take them, they would of died otherwise. All levels were OTC and tank condition was terrible at best.

I have them all in my community tank and I have spent all day acclimating and watching carefully. The fish are very underfed. But all are doing as good as I could hope for.

Added 6 more black skirt tetras to the 2 he gave me to avoid stress and excess aggression. Also added 7 more kuhli loaches to the 1 he gave me to ensure low stress and proper school numbers.

The best has been put on his own.

Total acclimation was approx 6 hours!! Finally got the water close enough to the tank to drop em in.

Will keep you all posted and pics will be coming soon.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Planted Member

Been there done that. Tank i saved my rescues from hadn't had the water changed in 2 years according to the 'fish haver'. "its an awesome filter" was the reason.... anyways, acclimated them for 2 weeks, seemed fine, then they randomly started dieing. not sure what happened. spread over two tanks and out of the 14 fish, only 5 made it. not sure on the details, but they also incubated a bug that wiped out a full school of tiger barbs. started with 10, added the 3 new, and they started dropping like flies. no warning, i'd just find them dead. keep a sharp eye on them, good luck.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks and I will.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Algae Grower

You're doing a really good deed. I hope these fish make it! They must think they've already died and gone to heaven. Even if things don't work out, at least they'll be more comfortable in your care than in their previous tank.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Planted Member

Any word on how these fish are doing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode