1.5" MarinePure substrate in a Eheim cannister filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1.5" MarinePure substrate in a Eheim cannister filter

So after much consideration comparing opinions on the 1.5" MarinePure and BioHome Ultimate substrates I've decided to go with the MarinePure to filter my new 125 gal planted. I'll be using two Eheim 3e Pro canister filters each with 4 baskets measuring 7.25" x 7.25" x 2.25" tall. Since this is my first tank and I have no practical experience, throughout my research I've assumed a good filter media would be a complicated mish mash of things piled on top of each other to help ensure the water flowed THROUGH as much of the media as possible before exiting the filter. But now considering the size of my filter baskets (2.25" tall) and the size of the MarinePure media (1.5") I'm not so sure I'll be getting the 'flow through' that I wanted. Because of the basket height I'll only be able to layer a single layer of MaringPure filter balls in each basket. Even though I'll have 2 baskets in each canister with this media it still seems like it'll be loaded in too sparingly (not stacked on top of itself) to ensure good flow through the media itself. With this setup it seems like the flow would be more likely to go around the filter balls instead of through them.

Is this setup going to be sufficient?

Second idea is to have sponge filters in the bottom basket, then pile MarinePure in the second basket up to the level of the top of the third basket leaving the third basket out, then the fourth basket would contain some Purigen.

Third idea is to use MarinePure 1.5" in each of baskets 2 and 3 but then put a small layer of a smaller mech filter material on top of each of the ball layers to help force flow through the MarinePure.

Thanks I'm all ears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have not laid a ruler on my baskets but it seems you may be figuring more height than is really there??? Possible that you are missing that the baskets overlap when in the can? Can't see mine with it closed so I may be wrong!
How did you wind up with a filter without media? All Eheim I buy have come with media.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Planted. Although there's a handle in the middle that would limit a small percentage of the media height to 1.75" most of the basket would allow for media up to 2.25", although it would be stacked right up to the bottom of the next basket up. Not sure what you mean by overlap though. Do you mean sit directly on top of each other? The way mine stack it doesn't look like the top basket would protrude into the basket below it almost at all. The top and bottom 1/8" of each basket are chamfered a bit to accept the other, so an 1/8 is lost there, but the top basket's ceiling is recessed up into it just about that much so none of it's volume would be lost really.

And how did I get no media? Good question. I'd have to look up who I bought them through. A check at Dr. Smith's site shows that apparently they don't ship media with their Eheim 2076 or 2078s, which is what mine is. Guess that's it.

So here's the next evolution of all these ideas of mine...

Just saw an evaluation of the MarinePure filter media on their website by some guys maintaining a very large aquarium at the Aquarium of Niagara I think it was. Anyhow, he described how he used MarinePure blocks in one of the sump filter systems and he mentioned that it's important to let the water flow passively around the filter blocks (as opposed to forcing it through) so anaerobic bacteria can set up shop in the interior of the block (which I believe helps to eventually get rid of nitrates? after they establish after a couple months). So....

Best idea now since I'm going to use two baskets with this stuff (and b/c I'm lazy and would like to do as few water changes as possible) is to fill one basket with just the 1.5" MarinePure filter balls (utilizing passive flow) and the second basket I'll get a block of the MarinePure filter material (which at first look seem to be maybe 2" in height) cut them to fit the basket exactly and then possibly permanently install them into the basket using aquarium safe silicone. The fit would be as exact to the sides of the basket as possible and the silicone would be spread from top to bottom all around the edges of each basket forcing water flow through the entire media. This setup would provide for both lots of forced pass through the filter media as well as passive flow around the 1.5" balls allowing a place for the anaerobic bacteria to set up shop.

Whats everybody think bout that?

Overkill yes I know, but if spending more now on lots of good filter material (read more nitrifying bacteria) will provide for less water changes down the line then I'm all for it.

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 06-04-2014 at 06:12 AM. Reason: a

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:15 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Why do you want to denitrate a planted tank? I'm usually needing MORE nitrates in my tanks, and they're low tech... lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I believe his reference to a passive water flow around the marine blocks may be referring to a filter system in a sump. Your bacteria turn the ammonia into nitrates which your plants will consume as one of their basic ferts.
I have Ehiem's 2213's and they come with one removable filter basket into which they suggest you layer the media they supply with the filter. It consisted of a course sponge, ceramic noodles, ceramic balls, and topped with a fine floss pad. I'm sure it was working just fine but when it came to having to rinse it out it was a pain and the fine floss pad totally lost its shape if handled when wet. It was also heavy with all that ceramic. So I ended up buying just sponges, with I think 3 coarse and 2 fine to fill the basket. Now it is simple to clean.
I wouldn't agonize over the filter media there are lots of different type in use. Have a look at one of the other current threads "Favorite Filter Media?" to see what other folks like.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
I believe his reference to a passive water flow around the marine blocks may be referring to a filter system in a sump. Your bacteria turn the ammonia into nitrates which your plants will consume as one of their basic ferts.
Nope, sounds to me like whoever is helping him set up this filter is used to saltwater tanks (or freshwater nonplanted), where you DO want to set up anaerobic areas to denitrate the water.

That's usually counterproductive in a freshwater planted tank, though. Plants need available nitrogen for photosynthesis.

Personally, I'd go with more sponges and mechanical media. Planted tanks need more debris removal than any other form of filtration, as the plants themselves are extremely effective bio and chemical filters.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode