Egg Crate on top of bottom glass with substrate and rocks on - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Someone on Aquahobby recommend to put egg crate underneath the gravel and rocks etc, mkaing the egg crate on top of the bottom part of the tank.

He said that this will help ditribute the weight more throught if having rocks in the tank, because its been know to break or crack if to many rocks were on one side?

I was planing to put a slate wall on one side like 2-3 inches hiegh going in a U Shape in the left corner of the tank and fill in the wall with more gravel to make a wall where some plants will be elevated from the rest and also I was going to put 3 things of dritwood in there, 2 pieces being rather light and then the centerpiece is not the lightest piece, around lbs, which would be place right in the middle of the tank...

I am seeing if this is really neccessary and if it does indeed help the reason Im asking is because I alreadyhave a few plants and substrate and water in there, so just wanting to know if I should take it all out and take the gravel out and then put the eggcrate down?

Thanks if anoyne can help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:40 AM

I would think that a decent layer of gravel would help distribute the weight of a rock just as well as an egg crate. I think the main point is that you shouldn't place a lot of weight DIRECTLY on the glass...like, say, a large pillar of stone in direct contact with the glass. If we're talking about a really big stone with a small footprint, then maybe an eggcrate would be beneficial... *shrug*

I wouldn't worry too much about the slate wall unless it is really massive. Out of curiosity, though, how large is the tank in question?

^iMp^
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:45 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have kind of stand that only support the rims of the tank.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

The tank is a standard 55 gallon Rectangular tank.

The Stand is a pretty sturdy stand made out of real wood not any of that plywood stuff but it does not have a full in center it is rectangular but cut out in the center... IS it still ok?

I have 5 bags of 20 LB bags of ECO - Complete in there and then
I am going to add some rock not sure how many LBs but want to add a slate wall and put some more rocks in but the centerpiece of dritwood weighs aprox. 4-5 LBs (sorry forgot to put that in there above)

You Think I am ok or do I need to drain it all and put an eggcrate under it?

thanks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

anyone else got opinions
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 06:40 AM

The slate wall is basically near the side or back of the tank so thay should be ok.

You said the stand has a cut out in center but it still has some partial support around the glass area right? Not just the rims like most metal stands you see at the store. If it' only supports the rims, then I really have no idea since 55gl is quite long. All my large tanks stands have full bottom support.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They use egg crate in the bottom of cichlid tanks a lot because cichilds are know for redistributing rock piles. When the rocks fall off of your neatly arranged and very decorative pile of rocks the egg crate will help spread the impact load rather than have a pinpoint hit.

Del Goins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoboy
You said the stand has a cut out in center but it still has some partial support around the glass area right? Not just the rims like most metal stands you see at the store. If it' only supports the rims, then I really have no idea since 55gl is quite long. All my large tanks stands have full bottom support.
The stand is sturdy wood, I believe oak, got it from my aunt who used it for about 5 months and got rid of all her tanks for some reason. It is cut out in the center but the rims that hold the tank are pretty thick and about 5 inches wider maybe more or a little less, Im just not at home right now so I cant measure them...

What you think though, use eggcrate or I should be safe without it?

Again In my tank I have:
5 20 LB bags of eco complete
1 Centerpiece Driftwood - About 4-5 LBs
4 Small pieces of driftwood
A few rocks and want to build a slate wall
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Planted Member

It seems to me that most large glass tanks have thick enough plastic moulding around the edges that the bottom glass is held up off the stand and never touches it anyways. My 150 gal stand (and many others I've seen) is cut out in the middle and all the support is around the edges.

I don't think you would have any weight problems unless you put a ton of big rocks in there (like for a reef tank) and even then I don't think you would have issues.

David
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The important issue, as raised above, is if the rocks will be directly on the glass or not. For large rock formations, the eggcrate can be put down then the base rocks and then substrate added around the rocks. This prevents the issue Opiesilver was discussing, your fish digging out the substrate from under the rock and the whole thing crashing down. If you have smaller accent rocks and a few inches of substrate to set them on, you will be fine with no eggcrate.

Tony
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Can you the type of bottom dwellers (cats loaches etc) that like to dig alot that I would have a problem with?

And you think the stand that I have is ok for this too?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 09:31 PM

I don't see how it could hurt to use egg crate but I don't see it being necassary either.If you have gravel and a large rock were to somehow fall
the gravel will spread out the impact more than egg crate would.

Think about it if you were on top of a burning building would you rather jump onto a pile of sand or a big hard plastic grate?I'd take my chances with the hill of sand...

Ernie
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 06:23 AM

I forsee no problems, because as mentioned, reef tanks have big rocks in them.
Reef designers build the entire "live rock" rockscape first. Then add substrate such as sand or argonite to fill in the crevices.
You dont want a 10lb rock shifting under loose sand and crushing your Nemo.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

So it seems that most of you all here believe that it will be fine without an eggcrate below correct?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I probably need to start a new thread with this, but this is something that amazes me. I'm planning on getting and setting up a 75g sometime within the next year, and I'll be building my own stand (cabinet style.) Looking at the commercial stands it simply amazes me that they pretty much all supply support only around the edges of the tanks. Now granted, that's a pretty thick piece of glass in a tank that big, but it's still glass! and a 75 gallon tank, after rock, decorations, water, etc., is going to weigh, what, somewhere in the neighborhood of 750#? And this is all on that little 18x48" piece of glass??! While designing a stand for this monster (I know, that's relative, but in this house that's pretty big ) I'm finding it real hard to trust any sort of topless stand even though they do seem to stand the test of usage.

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode