Anyone familiar with Biohome Ultra filter media? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone familiar with Biohome Ultra filter media?

Any opinion on the Biohome Ultra filter media? By this guy's description on youtube it supports a good balance of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria so that it's really efficient at processing not only ammonia and nitrite, but also nitrates resulting in less water changes and less water changed during each change. He says because of it's extremely high porosity it's the best filter media there is.

In this video it's the third one he talks about. He sells it on ebay out of England...

Whatta ya'll think?

EDIT: After looking it up on ebay it looks like it's being made in a smaller size now comparable to the first two.

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 06-03-2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: f
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
The "best" at what? It depends on what you are using it for as to what it is best at. If it is biological filtration you want then the media simply acts as a breeding ground for the bacteria. It has to perform several functions to do so properly. It should have a lot of surface area to provide lots of space for bacteria to grow. It should allow for good even water flow to all the bacteria so they are all well fed. There are some nice to haves too. Media that is easy to maintain is always good to have. That means you can rinse it easily so as to maintain that good water flow. As to a balance between aerobic and anaerobic bacteria well one needs oxygen and one dosen't so the balance depends on where and how you use the media not so much on the media itself. A bio wheel on an HOB promotes aerobic bacteria due to its exposure to air, where submerged media promotes anaerobic bacteria since exposure to oxygen is much more limited.
Many folks, myself included, like the filter sponges because they are simple to rinse, they maintain their shape, and they last for ever. Some folks like other media and/or a combination of them. For myself I switched my Eheims to just sponges leaving out Ehiem's media. However all the media work pretty well or we wouldn't use them. I suspect this fellow is just trying to sell media, his media.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode