Recurrent Fungal Growth! Please Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Recurrent Fungal Growth! Please Help!

I've been battling fungal growth in my tank for months now. It's the generic white fluffy fungus (anyone know the actual name of the common aquarium fungus?) and . I've treated it (temporarily) successfully with pimafix and also API's fungal cure (the green stuff), but it keeps coming back after a month or two!!!😠😡😠😡 I've been doing biweekly 50% water changes and cutting back feeding but it hasn't worked 😔😔

Anybody know what I can do to fight this fungus off for good? Thanks in advance for any efforts to help. 😎😎

EB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Pics would definitely help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
|||
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you are sure its not some type of algae? pics would help.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerofthemoon View Post
Pics would definitely help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 180g View Post
you are sure its not some type of algae? pics would help.
It is too subtle to show up in pics. By the time you can see any visual evidence in pics, it's damaging the fish, causing wounds. It shows up as biofilm on the surface, and also a slight white sheen on the wood. I've watched this process happen a number of times now so I know the signs :-/

I'll get a pic anyways, but don't get your hopes up.

EB

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any bright white in the pics is not the fungus. The fungus has a bluish white sheen, I'm unsure if you guys will see it, but I can see the signs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	329186  

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds like staghorn algae to me. Is it brittle?

|||
|||
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No it is not brittle. I've had staghorn and bba, and this is not that. This, as it gets worse, effects the fish and their health.

To be clear, I've recently added another light so I've had little blooms of green algaes on the wood, and they are not my concern...I actually think they look pretty nice lol.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have no idea try researching for a way to stop it and find out what it is.

''To screw up a 180g does not take much, to fix up a screwed up 180g is an effort beyond most mortals.''
first planted tank 180g

(I'm 13
)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This may go completely contrary to what you feel is happening so please bare with me. I am trying to help and really have no better ideas but maybe just another theory to look over? I think of fungus as being a very common thing with thousands of possible types. But each of these types seem to have very limited ranges in which they grow and flourish. Like fairy rings in the yard and all the other weird things of that sort? What I am getting at is that a fungus which grows well on wood would find a totally alien situation on fish. What I propose is that there are more than one force at work here. Perhaps one which grows on wood and then another which harms the fish. Maybe the sheen on the water being a third item? Fungus on wood is quite common and I have never seen it as a hazard to fish. I get a sheen on my water when I feed too many algae pellets.
Just as a question, is it possible you are fighting the wood fungus at the risk of weakening the fish so that they then fall victim to fungus of a different sort?
Not trying to play the blame game, just putting an idea out for you to think about. Also I have no name for the fungus we often see. I suspect there are hundreds which can look much alike.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
This may go completely contrary to what you feel is happening so please bare with me. I am trying to help and really have no better ideas but maybe just another theory to look over? I think of fungus as being a very common thing with thousands of possible types. But each of these types seem to have very limited ranges in which they grow and flourish. Like fairy rings in the yard and all the other weird things of that sort? What I am getting at is that a fungus which grows well on wood would find a totally alien situation on fish. What I propose is that there are more than one force at work here. Perhaps one which grows on wood and then another which harms the fish. Maybe the sheen on the water being a third item? Fungus on wood is quite common and I have never seen it as a hazard to fish. I get a sheen on my water when I feed too many algae pellets.
Just as a question, is it possible you are fighting the wood fungus at the risk of weakening the fish so that they then fall victim to fungus of a different sort?
Not trying to play the blame game, just putting an idea out for you to think about. Also I have no name for the fungus we often see. I suspect there are hundreds which can look much alike.
+1 great idea!!

''To screw up a 180g does not take much, to fix up a screwed up 180g is an effort beyond most mortals.''
first planted tank 180g

(I'm 13
)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I only use fungus treatment when the fish are being effected. Fungus on the wood only shows up in succession with the fungus on the fish. The biofilm could be something else entirely as in the past few months it has rarely not been present.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
In that case, I would go at finding what is wrong in this way. One is to clear the film from the surface. That should not be there in a healthy tank and might be leading to low O2 stress. Second I would remove the wood to take out any possible way that the fungus is caused by the wood. Then I would QT any fish that need it and treat them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode