Thick lush background plant that spreads by runners? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thick lush background plant that spreads by runners?

In my 20 long I have a nice carpet of dwarf hairgrass (eleocharis parvula) and about 3/4ths of the way back I have wall to wall rocks. Behind the rocks there is a 3-4 inch area where I currently have no plants.

I'm looking for a nice background plant that will create a thick wall of plants without requiring constant trimming and replanting.

I have already tried eleocharis vivipara, which really only spreads with aerial runners. I have eleocharis acicularis in there now, which everyone says should get tall enough to form a background in a 20 long, but I'm skeptical (it's still fairly new to the tank and hasn't really taken off yet)

corkscrew val may be my best bet, but it's hard to get a really lush full look with val, as it tends to spread out quite a bit when it grows.

Does anyone know of any other plants that would meet my needs?

edit: Also, I should mention that this tank has co2, med-high light, and EI dosing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:17 AM
Planted Member

dwarf sag. I have it in a high light co2 tank and it grows about 6-8 inches and runs, plant them right and you'll get a wall of grass.
One of mine has spread 15" across the back of my tank with about a dozen or more shoots.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

maybe anacheris you can let it grow then when it gets tall you cut it and put the cutting in the sub to make another plant

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:46 AM
Algae Grower

Broadleaved Amazon Swordplant (Echinodorus bleheri)! It might get a bit tall and might require attention but it's thick and spreads by runners. In the two years I've had one plant it's grown into a dozen and is as thick as a jungle and almost completely across the back of my tank. I have the same tank stats as you, only I'm a 38g, so 20" tall I think....height might be the only issue you would have with this plant.

In the photo the back left plant is the original. You can see the runners out front, and the new plants up front left and in the back right. Super thick!!
Under the broadleaf ont he right is a java fern that has smaller leaves but looks similar. Only about the top quarter of the plant is showing on the right.
EB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	329178  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:51 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I've had good luck keeping Vals, Crypts and Sagittaria corralled using cheap plastic landscape border cut down to size: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...la=pla_1053304

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode