Phosphate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
I just got a test kit for phosphate (po4) and my aquarium water tested 5 ppm. That seemed really high considering that I never added anything to increase it and another odd thing is that I have read that there is a good chance of an algae outbreak of tanks with po4 over 1 ppm, but I have not had any algae problems in the last 6 months. I just have a few questions about it:

1) Is there a chance that something is wrong with my test kit?

2) What could be keeping the levels so high?

3) Is too much bad for plants?

4) Should I decrease it/how should I decrease it?

5) Should I expect to see a lot of algae with high po4?

6) What harm could the high levels do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
How much and how often do you feed your fish, and with what do you feed them?

Have you tested your tap water too?

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosty

1) Is there a chance that something is wrong with my test kit?
2) What could be keeping the levels so high?
3) Is too much bad for plants?
4) Should I decrease it/how should I decrease it?
5) Should I expect to see a lot of algae with high po4?
6) What harm could the high levels do?
1) I usually get false-neg errors from my kit, not false-pos. What kind of kit do you own?
2) Excessive feeding or overuse of dechlorinators (ie Novaqua).
3) There must be a critical amount.....although I don't know if 5ppm is too much.
4) First be sure your test is not errored. To decrease, I always simply do water changes. "Pillows" and chemicals may be available - I don't know.
5) I've never had 5ppm PO4. From what I've read, if you have high light and/or limiting NO3, you should most definitely expect GW.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 07:48 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
You live in the middle of farm land. Is there any chance you did a water change and your tap water is now loaded with PO4 due to the spring run off?

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to cich
Yeah with me too, when my test kit was bad, it just showed 0 all the time. Never higher than it actually was.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
How much and how often do you feed your fish, and with what do you feed them?
I feed them Hikari Tropical Flake food and Hikari Freeze Dried Blood Worms. I just started feeding these 5 days ago. Before that I had been feeding them Tetra's "Pro Crisps". I don't overfeed, but I have recently changed to feeding them 2-3 times a day for 1-2 mins. Before I was feeding them about once or sometimes twice a day for 1-2 minutes.

Quote:
Have you tested your tap water too?
Should have mentioned that. My tap water is between .25 and .5 ppm, so I don't think that that is the problem.

Quote:
What kind of kit do you own?
I use a Nutrafin Fresh/Saltwater test kit.

Quote:
Excessive feeding or overuse of dechlorinators (ie Novaqua).
I only use the spesified amount of declor for the weekly 15% water change.

Quote:
You live in the middle of farm land. Is there any chance you did a water change and your tap water is now loaded with PO4 due to the spring run off?
We don't get well water so I sure hope they don't have runoff from the fields in my tap water. (Mental note to self: Drink bottled water :lol: )

Quote:
From what I've read, if you have high light and/or limiting NO3, you should most definitely expect GW.
I have 100 watts over 38 gallons, so medium light and I just started adding Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Potassium, and Flourish Trace. I really don't have time to deal with algae right now.

Thanks for all the help,
Fosty
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Excessive feeding or overuse of dechlorinators (ie Novaqua).
How do dechlorinators affect phosphate?

Is it only Novaqua in particular? Because of something added for the heavy metal binding or the "slime coat stress relief" part?

I use Amquel and don't see anything that sounds like phosphate on the ingredients. I don't really measure it when I dose it so want to make sure I am not giving the tank an extra dose of phosphate.

Tony
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 04:49 PM

I do suspect the test kit. I have a Hagen nitrate kit (Hagen=NutraFin), and it always reads inaccurately, giving me colors not on the results chart.

I highly recommend a SeaChem phosphate test kit. It comes with a sample of water guaranteed to be 0.00ppm of phosphate, so you can ensure the test kit is good.

Hagen/nutrafin has recalled test kits in the past...and at 5ppm of phosphate, I don't see how you could not have a major algae problem.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
I do suspect the test kit. I have a Hagen nitrate kit (Hagen=NutraFin), and it always reads inaccurately, giving me colors not on the results chart.

I highly recommend a SeaChem phosphate test kit. It comes with a sample of water guaranteed to be 0.00ppm of phosphate, so you can ensure the test kit is good.

Hagen/nutrafin has recalled test kits in the past...and at 5ppm of phosphate, I don't see how you could not have a major algae problem.
I was started to figure that the kit was inaccurate. I tried to get SeaChems's test kit at That Fish Place's sale, but they were sold out. I was even talking to the SeaChem's sales rep. at the sale about how much more accurate SeaChems test kit were compared to others. I was too impatient. Oh well.

Thanks for the Help
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would recommend redsea over seachem. IME redsea is more accurate, but seachem is still pretty good. But the readibilty of seachem is very hard; redsea is almost fail-proof.

Do you have activated carbon in this tank?
What brand dechlor do you use?
Any other additives?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Planted Member

I've been using the Nutrifin kit for quite a while and it works well for me.
When I add PO4 it shows it and when it's being used up it shows the decline in quantity of PO4 in the water table.
My concern isn't total accuracy, but the ability to show shades of decline so that I can restore to the desired level. I don't really care if I'm restoring to .75 or 1.0ppm. I know what shade works in my tank and dose for that. It's worked for me.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Planted Member

I tried the Red Sea phosphate test kit. The resulting color from the test bore little resemblance to the color chart that was included in the package.

I complained and they sent another kit which produced the same result.

I think you can do better than with a Red Sea kit.

Bill
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have had great luck with the Seachem kit....

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I will try to get either the Red Sea or Seachems phosphate kit a.s.a.p. Where is the best place to order test kits from?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Cheapest is Big Als. I saw them at petsmart ONCE but they were about the same as Big Als with shipping.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode