Snail Infestation! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snail Infestation!

Hello - I wanted a good clean-up crew for my 30 gallon tank, so I purchased a few ramshorn snails. Now, my tank is covered! I have a pleco, 5 kuli loaches, 2 Black skirt tetras, a fancy guppy and a platy (planned that way as not to eat the snails nor uproot plants). I need to clear the tank of too many snails. I thought about selling baby snails, but really, I don't have that kind of time. Now I'm thinking of a fish to eat the baby snails (maybe a clown loach?) but I still want to keep snails. What a dilemma! Any ideas? Not to ask too much, but I'd like the fish (if that's part of the solution) to be a nice centerpiece...

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Try some assassin snails.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I believe you are feeding too much. I had a flood of Trumpet snails in a 10g tank and bought one Khuli Loach and he ate all of them. But I only had one other fish in this tank at the time which ate live food so the KL din't have any fod left on the bottom of the tank to get to. If you feed only till your flakes(?) start to hit the bottom of the tank
and stop at that point so that the fish end up eating up 99% of the food, the KL will learn to eat the snails. He may not stop after you resume normal feeding though.
A Clown Loach can always be given away but know that they get 10" long.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
2 yo yo loach's in my 29g took control of my MTS problem. I had hundreds, now i'm lucky if i see a 6 to 10.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
You could easily build a snail trap and help keep the population in check that way. A snail trap will also make it easy for you to collect and sale or give away your excess snails. You can then just fill up any container ( one you would eat out of!! ) with some tank water, throw a few cheap plants in there and keep your snails in there that are for sale or RAOKs.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
You could easily build a snail trap and help keep the population in check that way. A snail trap will also make it easy for you to collect and sale or give away your excess snails. You can then just fill up any container ( one you would eat out of!! ) with some tank water, throw a few cheap plants in there and keep your snails in there that are for sale or RAOKs.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Throw a slice of cucumber in there for a few hours - remove when covered with snails. Repeat until population is under control.

You are feeding too much if the population is exploding. That primary issue needs to be changed for a permanent fix. If you aren't overfeeding, the snails tend to keep their own population in check.

I've never had kuhlis that ate snails.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I added the kuli's because they're not known to eat snails. And all 5 haven't touched the snails I have. They absolutely won't eat a snail. I want to sell/give them away, but everyone I ask doesn't want them...mostly because I don't know people with tanks...lol. Anyway, thanks for the ideas :-)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Planted Member

Well you could remove as many as you can manually, quarantine your fish and move your filter to a bucket and then drop in some potassium permanganate. You would have to do a pretty big water change after because I believe it will also kill off beneficial bacteria. Don't forget to clean your filter well also so you don't just let them hitch hike back in.

This is kind of the nuclear option but if all else fails...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Ive had several snail eaters over the years and by far the best ive owned have been my pea puffers and skunk loaches. The skunks will eat full size rams, where the puffers only eat the small rams. But if you have any pond snails, puffers would be my first choice since I can easily feed them a 100 in a week.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode