Natural Looking Bubbles - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Natural Looking Bubbles

I saw a tank a couple years ago that had a very natural looking bubble setup. It wasnt like a bubble wand or anything like that but bubbles would come out of the substrate in random places intermittently. Also it was very slow and natural looking. The bubbles were not continuous but would come up randomly and was very slow. As if it were a real setting and gas was escaping from the bottom of a lake. I have tried to recreate this effect but I haven't had any luck. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this before or if they know how it was done. I'm starting a new planted tank and would love to add that effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
add HC, or glosso, or maybe riccia, or another plant that peals a lot; and get a few bottom dwellers to kick up the bubbles. my tank is full of tiny bubbles in the afternoon.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
There are always bubbles coming up in streams from the roots of my vallisneria.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
There is always bubble in a High light,Co2,Fert planted tank.
Especially a tank with a high plant mass.

One month in.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyorn View Post
I saw a tank a couple years ago that had a very natural looking bubble setup. It wasnt like a bubble wand or anything like that but bubbles would come out of the substrate in random places intermittently. Also it was very slow and natural looking. The bubbles were not continuous but would come up randomly and was very slow. As if it were a real setting and gas was escaping from the bottom of a lake. I have tried to recreate this effect but I haven't had any luck. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this before or if they know how it was done. I'm starting a new planted tank and would love to add that effect.
try a small airpump. the smallest one you can can find and run a few airstones or coil a bubble wand to it. bury them deep in the gravel.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
a c02 setup will do this. run tubes and hook up a needle valve and there you go
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
take a really long clear tube and poke holes in it and stop up the end, run it all over the bottom of your tank under the substrate and have a really low powered pump
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i was wondering if you aerate your substrate if you could potentially build a powerful bacterial bed.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
you will always have the same amount of bacteria. it is not determined by the amount of oxygen in the substrate

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:17 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honor View Post
i was wondering if you aerate your substrate if you could potentially build a powerful bacterial bed.
That's the principle behind UGF and RUGF filters; they increase the oxygenated surface area in the substrate.

Actually in most planted tanks only the first few inches receive enough water circulation to host aerobic N-bacteria.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
stick with bacteria in the filter, dont worry too much about those in the gravel.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode