CO2 bubble count - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 bubble count

What is the optimal CO2 bubble count for a 40g breeder tank without killing Amano Shrimps?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:15 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
There is no single answer as it depends on the working pressure, needle valve, flow, plant mass, O2 concentration etc etc.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! Here's what I got.

Thanks for the reply.

Here's what I got. Currently I'm running about 4.2/sec. There has to be a better bubble counter somewhere. The tank is about 2 weeks old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4051.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	328698  

Name:	IMG_4053.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	328706  

Name:	IMG_4054.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	328714  

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm sorry. I may not be understanding the problem or question. Is there confusion on what the bubble counter can do? I find it is only a way to verify that CO2 is flowing and gives me a visual to see when I change the flow. If you are able to count the bubbles, I'm not sure what else it can do for you. On the other hand, if you are not happy with the bubbles you get in the tank, the problem might be more in your diffuser?
More info on the problem???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

bubble counter

I thought the bubble counter is used to count the bubble. Somebody recommended to me to have the bubble count to be at least 2 bubbles per second. So, I have been video recording the bubble counter and counted how many bubbles in 10 secs. That's how I came to the count. Base on pH & KH chart I am in the good balance range. For the past week the algae started to proliferate. So, now I reduced the light time from 8 1/2 hrs to 7 1/2 hrs and increased the bubble count to 4.2 bubbles per second. Some people recommend to crank up the CO2 until you see the fish suffocating but I don't want to do that because the Amano Shrimp just die. I already lost some amano shrimp with that technique and still have not found the right range for the CO2. So, what's the best way to measure the flow of CO2?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It isn't the flow of CO2 that is so important, it is how much CO2 is dissolving in the tank water, and how fast it is dissipating from the water surface. To know how much CO2 is dissolved in the water takes a very expensive probe, a few thousand dollars. The only person I know of who has one of those is Plantbrain. The rest of us have to pretty much ignore measuring the CO2 and just watch the plants and fish to find out if we have the optimum concentration in the water. That optimum concentration will depend on how well saturated with oxygen the water is, what our plant load is, what types of fish we have, how much light we have, etc. It is very likely to be different for each of us and for each of our tanks.

Hoppy
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice

I guess, I'll play it by trial and error.

Thanks!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As a visual to give you an estimate, there is also the drop checker. It is reasonably priced in many cases and does change colors as the CO2 increases. You might do some reading and study on using one of those. Much of what we do is something that takes judgement of what is happening in our tank. You will read many things where people do try to put a number on it but then we find it doesn't fit for our tank. When we talk about bubbles per second it might be like talking about us blowing bubbles with a straw in a glass. The bubbles per second will be different depending on what size straw and what is in the glass plus other things. The same is true of the bubble counter in our tanks. We can't really put a number on it because there are so many different things to change the answer. But still people try!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/carbon...t-lamotte.html

C02 test kit. Gives ppm readings. Seems to be fairly accurate. Is have one and it seems to work well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reburn View Post
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/carbon...t-lamotte.html

C02 test kit. Gives ppm readings. Seems to be fairly accurate. Is have one and it seems to work well.
I don't see how a titration test, using an alkaline solution can accurately measure CO2 if the water has a low pH due to something other than CO2. I sent LaMotte a question about that.

Hoppy
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hoppy,
Please let me know what you find out. I have the test kit and use it sometimes to check my drop checker. It seems to be right on generally in the 25-30 ppm range. I use it for my SW tank as well but I'm shooting for lower then 10.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

LaMotte's answer to my question, which was "Will this be an accurate test if the water has something other than CO2 in it that lowers the PH of the water? For example, suppose the water has lots of tannic acid in it." is: "Attached above is a copy of the instructions for Carbon Dioxide kit # 7297-DR-01. The endpoint of this test is a faint pink coloration, so that any inherent color from Tannins or other things will affect your ability to see the color reaction.

I trust this information is helpful,"

I don't think the person answering this had any idea what I was asking. The test appears to involve adding drops of an alkaline solution to a test tube of the water being tested, with some phenolphthalein indicator added to it. When the indicator shows the acidity has been neutralized by the alkaline solution, the color changes, and the number of drops indicates the ppm of CO2. I presume the alkaline solution is carbonate based, so it is raising the KH of the water in the test tube, thus raising the pH.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode