Sick fish help !! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Sick fish help !!

My molly has this white growth near its eyes...
http://i.imgur.com/rnpWa8U.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ufmWPtw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hSbJiW9.jpg

Prior to this there was a lot of fish die off .. 5 fish to be exact... Which showed signs such as not eating and too tired to move... So figured it was parasites ... But did not treat it becouuse I wasn't around home that much....
After getting back .. did some searching around the internet and bought tetracycline 250 mg ....
Before starting the dose I wanted something's cleared
1. Do I dose the meds in the main tank itself. Or isolate the sick fish into a bowl( I don't have another tank)
2. Are those meds right for that thing on its eye ??
3. I have live plants in my tank .. Would the meds affect the plants in any way ?

I don't have any test kits to test water parameters so I can't tell any parameters right now..
Thanks in advance !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 07:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your molly looks like it has popeye. It is often caused by either physical damage to the eye or prolonged poor water quality. When you can, it really is a good idea to have a liquid testing kit handy just to be able to know what's going on with your fish when something like this happens. Water quality issues are fortunately fairly easy to fix once you know about them! If poor water quality is the problem, clean water may be the best treatment of all. I would suggest a 50% water change for the moment, personally.

Tetracycline may help at this stage, or it may not. Using it, though, may kill some of your beneficial bacteria, one of the most important things NOT to do right now if your water quality is poor.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just did a 70 percent water change today ... As per my ei dosing schedule... Do you think I should keep doing water changes ?? Or should I wait now...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When the fish are sick it is better to treat the fish and not follow the exact recipe for whatever fertilizer schedule you are doing.

Clean the tank the very best you can, removing as much as possible all the organic debris that may be in the substrate or the filter. Most planted tanks are not usually vacuumed very deeply, that would disturb the roots. Just move the vacuum around as close as you can get to the substrate.

Continue water changes per the directions on the medicine.

Treating in a separate tank would be ideal. Mollies thrive with some salt in the water, and can handle water as salty as the ocean. This is not good for the plants, though.
Since you do not have a spare tank, just treat in the main tank. No salt, of course.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode