Cherry Shrimp and Dwarves? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cherry Shrimp and Dwarves?

This will be my last noob question of the day i promise. Is it possible to keep shrimp(cherry or amano) with my bolivian rams and appistogramma? Or am I simply treating my dwarves to an expensive meal? Also, if I do get the shrimp do I need to consider them as inches of fish in regards to room in my tank? Finally what exactly do they eat? I get the impression they find their own food. I should probably be doing a google search instead of posting this question so thanks for any responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)
The RCS would be an expensive meal. I've seen my GBRs attacking good sizes snails before. I keep Amanos in my tank with the GBRs but it's heavily planted and I rarely see them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm interesting.. Anyone else wanna confirm that bolivians or Cockatoos would make fine dining of cherry or amano shrimp?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'll confirm fine dining of the amanos, my cherries started disapearing more slowly. Larger cherries last longer. You might be OK if you could introduce a colony of adult Cherries.

The Amanos I had didn't seem to have any instinct to hide; whereas the cherries do. I also found crispy amanos on the floor (even though I have acanopy on the tank). The floor might have taken care of as many as the fish.

75g 3 T8s 2x OD, XP3, pres. CO2,
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm that doesn't sound too promising.. do cherry shrimp jump too? Anyone know anything about Bamboo Shrimp? I see them at the LPS once in a while as well and they are much bigger so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't get eaten.. They are however kinda ugly IMO compared to the cherry shrimp.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cherry (or Tigers) will reproduce in the tank whereas Amanos won't. It helps with the battle when there are pressure on them. With Amanos it is a one way street to fewer shrimp.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
We have 4 Amano shrimp in a 20g long with our pair of A. cacatuoides and they both ignore the shrimp for the most part. The only time I've seen even a small amount of "aggression" towards any of the shrimp was when 1 started getting a bit too close to the cave where the female had some eggs. She only darted at him to push him back but that was it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

hey STLfishlover, is the amanos jumping a problem? I haven't had a single death(i'm sure i just jinxed myself) so far in this fish tank so i'm reluctant to get the shrimp.. I wanna keep my no death streak alive for a while! Unfortunately everyone on this forum mentions shrimp with such enjoyment that I'm having difficulty resisting. Does them jumping simply mean I have to keep the lid shut or do they just find their way out when i open for feeding or up the whisper waterfall..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have no clue about the Amanos getting out (I have a full canopy with small cut outs for pluming), I just found crispies on the floor behind the tank when I was doing some cleaning.

There do seem to be more reports about crispy Amano than other shrimp on the forum.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
We've had the amanos for about a month... so far no escapees (fingers crossed)... I do see them "jump" within the aquarium when I have to stick my hands in there to prune the plants and I have read somewhere that they are ok out of water for a very short time so I'm not sure how long our luck will last without 1 of them deciding to explore life outside the tank.

I would say go for it... even if you only start out with 1 or 2. We got just the 4 originally to see if we would like them...needless to say we did very much so... had the LFS order some more... we're picking up 8 more tonight I would really like to put some in our 125 with the Bolivians but I think with 11 Bolivians they indeed might become a snack lol...

There is about a 2 inch gap between the glass cover and the edge of the tank on the 20g where all the tubes/cords go in and although we've yet to see the jumping I think tonight we will cut out the holes for the tubes to put the plastic over the gap 'just in case'.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode