Are these plants dead? do I need to get rid of them? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face Are these plants dead? do I need to get rid of them?

Sorry these plants are a terrible mess, I would be grateful for some advice on what I should do.

Java ferns both a year old, they were fine to start but they've been very slowly going brown, I kept one of them in a 3 gallon tank with Led lights its completely brown on one of its leaves the other leaf is mostly brown but has a tiny bit of green, there's also a young java at the bottom of the tank connected to a old dead leaf that came off the main plant

Plant in 3 gallon

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7187.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	327850

Name:	DSCF7189.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	327858

Name:	DSCF7216.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	327914

Name:	DSCF7219.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	327922

Young plant conected to dead leaf

Name:	DSCF7196.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	327866

and below are some pictures of the other one in a 7 gallon with a bigger light (not sure what type of lighting it is) this java might be just about alive I don't know if the dead parts of it are unhealthy to keep in the tank? this plant just always gets covered in algae (because of the lighting I guess) and that seems to kill it, it always looks brown and dead under the algae

plant in 7 gallon

Name:	DSCF7202.JPG
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	327882

Name:	DSCF7204.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	327890

Name:	DSCF7206.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	327898

Name:	DSCF7211.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	327906

anyway I know it might seem silly wanting to keep these messed up plants but I want to because all my local petstores are just so disease ridden that I don't want to buy more plants from them in case they harm my fish and its a waste of money for me anyway if they end up like these.

If these javas are dead and I leave them in my tank is there a risk they'll cause diseases to my fish like a dead fish would?

is it worth taking the brown leaf off the one in the 3 gallon and leaving the leaf that still has some green?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
They look like a lost cause to me. What is covering the roots? Are they still in the pet store pots? If so you always want to remove them, so they can grow.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 03:09 AM
Planted Member

Agreed. Remove those ceramic rings and tie them to driftwood, don't plant it! Java fern should not be dying.

Only bad things happen quickly.
A little allot is better than allot a little.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 04:45 AM
Algae Grower

The rhizome can't be buried, what's probably happening is that the rhizome is rotting because it is covered. It's best to attach java fern (and anubias) to a piece of driftwood or a rock. If the rhizome is not completely rotten you can try to leave it either tied to a rock or wood or just floating in the tank, and see if it revives

Terra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4.5G PLANTED NANO
8G PLANTED BETTA TANK

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

your "young plant[s] connected to dead leaf" could be saved. I'd toss everything else.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As for disease to the fish? Your main concern , might be that it will be decaying matter which does lead to ammonia for the filter to process down to nitrate. If the filter or your water changing is not adequate, there might be a problem. But if you deal with that, I see no harm. Many would want to trim off and remove the dead portions as it is just an extra bio load for you and the filter to deal with. As in any garden, dying/dead material can lead to more problems with other plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode