Snails bad? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I found a couple of snails, how do I find out if there good or bad? Tank is 2 weeks old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillsar
I found a couple of snails, how do I find out if there good or bad? Tank is 2 weeks old.
Post a Picture, we will tell you what kind they are....

jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wanted to know the same thing actually. I just started a tank and already I a few snails that have really long twisted dark color shells. They dont appear to be eating anything but just to be sure.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 03:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

It is really hard to tell with out a pic. Long twisted shells like an ice cream cone are MTS which are good planted tank snails and usually come out at night...

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got two different varieties of MTS in one of my tanks. I've got the normal 1/2" - 3/4" type and another that gets no bigger than 1/8". They look just the same except for size and color.

Del Goins

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 03:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiesilver
I've got two different varieties of MTS in one of my tanks. I've got the normal 1/2" - 3/4" type and another that gets no bigger than 1/8". They look just the same except for size and color.
I have noted differences in coloring and size in my population too... I wonder if they are subspecies or just variations

Jason

Heavily planted
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I tend to think sub-species. The little ones rarely come out of the substrate. When the do they swarm my moss balls and clean them really good.

Del Goins

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

They are not just the younger snails?

Tony
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyd
They are not just the younger snails?

Tony
Some yes. But others have a total different coloration on there shells....

Jason

Heavily planted
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm, thats interesting, I have never seen a smaller size. Maybe I could get some of those from you sometime? The neatest looking MTSs I have seen are at the Toledo Zoo aquarium. They are in a tank with some large Cories and a few plants. Their shells are a nice blue color, really different from anything I had seen before. I have been meaning to give them a call and see if I could have a few.

Tony
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Algae Grower

I intorduced only a handful of MTS to my aquarium...perhaps 5-10 1" snails all identical.

Not they they have reproduced, i notice the young ones tend to be completely white until they reach a certain point and then begin to get the coloration.

I want to add some of the nicer looking MTS to my tank. I have heard that several color varieties have been bred out. If anyone has any i would love to take a few if you could spare a few.

I also have common pond snails and a couple tiny ramshorn snails. I don't mind them at all. My convicts tend to pick off a lot of the pond snails so that population is kept in check. Usually only the very large ones or the small ones survive. My filter is full of baby snails but out of sight out of mind ya know.

-Mike
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

White shells are usually a sign of calcium defeciency. <sp?> The two types I have show a solid black coloration for the small ones and a calico appearance for the normal ones.

Del Goins

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

well I got 2 Clown Loaches yesterday they seem to hide all the time on bottom is this normal?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 07:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah they're nocturnal and will hide for most of the time the light is on.

Del Goins

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
drillsar, you won't have any snails after this. I had a huge snail population in my 5.5 betta tank (the watersprite is real happy in there ), went to the LFS and told the clerk to just give me 3 of the smallest loaches in the tank. Within hours the snail population had been reduced by at least 50% and within a couple of days they were all gone. They are spooky little buggers. They've graduated to the 29T now. The only thing is after reading through various threads I found mention that they may not be a good idea for a planted tank. My 29T is going to be a moderately planted (waiting on a small order now) but if they start tearing things up they may have to go back to the LFS. Even as pricey as they were (comparatively speaking) it was still worth it to get rid of the snails.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode