Getting Rid of Snails..any formula?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting Rid of Snails..any formula??

Hey All,

I've a major snail problem. I've got a 125 tank with a 12" arrowana plus 10plants...the snail just multiplied like crazy. I've reading on forums and the only solution that everyone offers are loaches or some other kind of fish. My problem is that my arrowana will eat the fish before they get a chance to get rid of the snail. Are there any formula i can buy to get rid of the snails without killing my plants and fish?? I think i've got close to 10000 snails...vvery small (hair size) they cover every part of the glass surface. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to thejoie
any chance you want to ship them to me!?! I have 3 puffers that LOOOOVE to eat snails! I'll pay shipping!! lol

Birds: Hahn's Macaw (Mia), Parrotlet (Millie), 2 Parakeets (Pixie and Pete)
Dogs: Boston Terrier (Wilbur), Bichon mix (Toby)
Tanks: 20L turtle tank
30 gallon salt water reef
10 gallon planted tank
2 betta tanks (Lucas and Mouth)

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (112/99%)
snails are almost impossible to to get rid of.

you can keep them in check by trapping them with a plastic jar. drill some holes in the plastic jar, leave a piece of lettuce inside and dump them out next morning.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Aquarium Products makes a product called Had A Snail. It works great if you are using water that has at least a 32ppm hard water. I know that PetSmart out here in California sells it. If you do not have one close than ask a LFS to special order it. It only comes in 4 oz. size so you may need to get a couple. Totally safe for plants and fish if used as directed. Results in as little as 48 hours. Repeat in two weeks because it doesnt treat for eggs just the snail. 3/4 oz. treats 400 gallons.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Have you ever used that stuff?

I did once when I was a kid- followed the directions- killed just about everything in my tank. I'd never recommend it, personally!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I think we need more threads about the same things!

Look here for more info about the OP

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ya and I was just about to start another thread about getting rid of my snails.
LOL

under stock
over filter
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yea..i have been thinking that its an impossible thing to do...i think the snails come from my plants. my problem is so bad that it looks like its snowing in my tank. Is it possible if i restart my whole tank (dump out the water, substrate, rocks, plants - i still wanna keep my arrowana), will this solve the problem? or are the snail eggs so microscopic that it'll somehow come along with my fish too. Please advise....thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 PM

The problem is that if even one survives the tank restart, you'll eventually end up w/ them again
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
There are various loaches that will help to keep them in check. Snail populations will surge and die back, though. Snails, like algae, will always be present in planted aquaria to some degree. The trick is to controll them because you'll never completely erradicate them.

One possible solution that comes to mind is to try to slowly increase the CO2 in the tank. This will lower the pH slowly and dissolve thier shells or at least hinder them from making shells as fast. I basically killed all my MTS in this way, by accident of course. Not sure if this will work on the pest snails but i guess its worth a thought.

15 neon tetra, 5 red phantom tetra, 11 ottocinclus, 9 cardinia japonica
AH supply lighting, Seachem and greg watson ferts, eco-complete

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode