Concerns with dwarf hair grass. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Concerns with dwarf hair grass.

I'm trying to use dwarf hair grass as a carpet of sorts. I purchased 5 potted bunches of it with the intention of purchasing more when they become available again to fill out the rest of the front of the tank. The specimens all had very good looking roots and full folliage. I also noticed that they seemed to be budding at the top. I assume this is how they reproduce or something.(i'm obviously noob) Anyways I started noticing that on day 3 of being in my tank which was yesterday(monday.) Some of these grass strands were turning brown. It's a 29 gallon standard with 55 watts, a C02 system I purchased from the LFS, i'm also using 2 fertilizers. One that I believe to be a general all purpose fertilizer and one that specializes in Iron. I've read that I may need to purchase some stronger ferts online but in the meantime are there any obvious reasons the hair grass may be having difficulties? I'm hoping that the hair grass i recieved was just very full and simply looking to die back a bit but I'd really like to keep it green. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Algae Grower

When the hairgrass is grown emersed (out of water) it sometimes has the little buds on the top.

Did you break up the pots into smaller portions before planting? First time I planted hairgrass in my 26g I took a pot and broke it up into like 4 large clumps and it never did grow for me.

Months later, I tried again and planted 4-8 "leaves" at a time and have excellant growth. It was a pain, took a couple hours but worth it. Also, I cut about 1/4 off the tops before I planted. I read somewhere that helps it get established.

I use the recommended EI dosing in this tank (26g Bowfront) with a 65w Coralife light and the hairgrass grows fast enough that I have to "mow" it every couple weeks.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
^^^^

Mike has it on the button. Its going to take a bit to adjust to your tank. I just moved some from a high light to a lower light tank and its even melting back a little bit.
Trimming the tops down usually prompts the plant to send off more runners or sideshoots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I actually kept it in the pots b/c i have some micro swords i was trying out and when I took them out I wasn't very happy with them. I will definitely consider trimming the grass back a little in the hope that it will promote some growth. Also.. Is it possible to get the grass to spread somehow? If it's out of the pot does it have a chance to spread out on its own more? Also, when people say cutting to promote growth they mean I should completely cut down some of the hairs right? Not simply trim all the hairs slightly..? Thanks everyone.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Just trim 1/4 off the top, this will make the plant send out runners/sideshoots that will grow out.
You definitely need to get those out of the pots and planted in the tank as Mike described above. Its brutal to plant hairgrass spread out like that but if you want a lawn type effect its the only way to do it.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
can I added on to this, since i have questions about dwarf hair grass does it need c02 to grow? because my friend has a never used 5 pound c02 set up for $100.00 or do i just need to trim it down like some of you guys/ladies said? how long does it take dwarf grass to carpet i bought 7 pots, and made 25-30 plugs from it, and all it wants to do is grow up but not side ways or carpet.

Thanks, Joey. tanks-CUBE of different sizes.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyjoe24 View Post
can I added on to this, since i have questions about dwarf hair grass does it need c02 to grow? because my friend has a never used 5 pound c02 set up for $100.00 or do i just need to trim it down like some of you guys/ladies said? how long does it take dwarf grass to carpet i bought 7 pots, and made 25-30 plugs from it, and all it wants to do is grow up but not side ways or carpet.
doesnt need co2 but it helps it from becoming a algae trap. the flow down low in the carpet of a dense dhg field it little to none.

also you might need to make your "plugs" even smaller" if i remember right my 2 pots of dhg came around to more than 30 little plugs, once split. Each plug should only have 8-10 strands of grass. these smaller plugs seem to help it start out by giving them roots some where to grow.

planting tip for DHG use tweezers or forceps to plant with, then when planting plant them overly deep in the substrate, then once planted grab the planted plug and give it a little pull to bring it back up to the desired level (right at that white to green transition on the plant) doing the plant deep and pull back method helps to get the roots oriented down rather than point up like you get just sticking them in the substrate.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
doesnt need co2 but it helps it from becoming a algae trap. the flow down low in the carpet of a dense dhg field it little to none.

also you might need to make your "plugs" even smaller" if i remember right my 2 pots of dhg came around to more than 30 little plugs, once split. Each plug should only have 8-10 strands of grass. these smaller plugs seem to help it start out by giving them roots some where to grow.

planting tip for DHG use tweezers or forceps to plant with, then when planting plant them overly deep in the substrate, then once planted grab the planted plug and give it a little pull to bring it back up to the desired level (right at that white to green transition on the plant) doing the plant deep and pull back method helps to get the roots oriented down rather than point up like you get just sticking them in the substrate.
Thanks would also tripping it a little each day/week help?

Thanks, Joey. tanks-CUBE of different sizes.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to nimo
The effective wattage is less than 2WPG .. with this low light, I always had bad luck in growing Dwarf Hair grass.. this is fine for Echinodorus Tenellus but not with Elocharis accicularis ....

Since you already have CO2 injection in your tank..You can bump up your light by another 30 watts or so, that would accelerate the transition from emersed state to submerged state...

By the way, what is the CO2 system you are having? is it a pressurized one?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyjoe24 View Post
Thanks would also tripping it a little each day/week help?
i tend to trim mine down to about 2 or so inches high cutting it like one big lawn, i do this about once a month some times longer between. i found that cutting it to often left me with visible brown tips on occasion so i backed off and haven't had the issue as much

oh and on my tank the grass grows the fastest and looks the greenest (20 high) im only using 1.75 wpg and the light is even raised above the tank 4", so DHG will grow just fine in a low light tank with a proper fert regime.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode