Help needed with plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help needed with plants

Hello everybody, i found this site and hopefully someone with experience could help me with my problem. My 30 g tank is almost an year old. I have 4 platies, 4 corys, 2 gouramis, 1 chinese algae eater and 1 pleco. Nitrate level is low, i regularly change water - about 15% each week using RO water, filtration is done by Fluval canister. Light has two bulbs one - Flora and Sun max plant growth and second All glass aquarium 25W. I started to add API Leaf Zone weekly. Put CO2 tank.

But no matter what i do the plants doesn't like it. They keep dying, please take a look at the pictures.

Can anyone could give me an advise what should i do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140529_223238.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	327362  

Name:	20140529_221514.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	327370  

Name:	20140523_214422.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	327378  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 07:01 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

I am sure the plants in your second and third pictures are not aquatic: they will die fully submerged regardless of what you do (don't always trust Petco and the like). Pull them out of the tank before they rot completely.

The plant in your first picture is Anubias barteri - a good aquarium plant - but it needs to be attached to driftwood or a stone for best health, not buried in the gravel.

You came to the right place: look around, read, and ask questions.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 07:09 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
The second and third plants are not a true aquatics. They wont survive completely submerged for more than a couple-few months.

Not sure what's up with the anubias, other than what appears to be severe nutrient deficiencies. Unless you have it buried all the way. Their rhizome needs to stick out some. There are far more qualified members than me here to diagnose possible deficiencies, but I can tell you that just dosing Leaf Zone is probably not enough - depending on exactly how much light/CO2 you're providing.

To help people better address you issues you need to give more information.

-What kind of CO2? Liquid carbon, DIY, pressurized?
-Specific type of bulbs, what kind of fixture, total wattage, distance from substrate, length of photo period.
-Exactly what you mean by "nitrate is low." How low? Plants do require a certain level.
-How heavily planted is the tank overall? A full tank picture would be useful.

Hope that helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by burr740; 05-30-2014 at 07:23 AM. Reason: .

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The first plant may be the victim of your pleco. They like to sneak about in the dark and munch on plants and this looks like that sort of damage.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

WOW thank you very much for your help! I knew there is something wrong, but did not know where to look. Thank you very much again for advice!
Here is more info

What kind of CO2? - i use Fluval 88 CO2 kit

-Specific type of bulbs- Flora and Sun max plant growth 25W and second All glass aquarium 25W

what kind of fixture - 36 inch twin tube fluorescent strip light

total wattage - 50 W

distance from substrate - on top of the tank

length of photo period - 5.5 hours a day, from 6.30pm to midnight

-Exactly what you mean by "nitrate is low." How low? I don't know exact number but when i took water sample to PetSmart they were really surprised and said that it's first time that they see tank almost without nitrates, i didn't ask exact number though. They advise me to cut on water changing to get nitrates level higher. But i will check again.

-How heavily planted is the tank overall? A full tank picture would be useful picture inclosed.

I also have bamboo which is in the same situation as other plants. Someone told me today that it top needs to be on top of the water otherwise it will die. So this maybe the reason for that plant, which is also seen better days.

I heavily relay on PetCo but it turns out that it's not that simple and what they have for sale and looks nice might not work in my tank.

Can any one suggest what would be good plants to start with in my situation? So should i pull all plants and start from scratch? And how many plants i can add at one time?

Please advice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140530_214311.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	328002  

Name:	20140530_214800.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	328010  

Name:	20140530_214807.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	328018  

Last edited by kluka68; 05-31-2014 at 06:11 AM. Reason: new info added

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode