Cleaning a used tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Cleaning a used tank.

I tried searching, but I didn't find anything good. Question; how do you clean a used glass tank? I have a 110 tall I just picked up and the thing is covered in the typical "dry the water out of it" method of emptying leftovers. What is the best (and easiest) way to get rid of this? If the solution is (no pun intended) is vinegar, what ratio do you suggest?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Vinegar and water works well...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Vinegar and water works well...
Thats what I would do.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Thankks for the quick reply. so like 50/50?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
It shouldn't really matter, as long as you rinse it out well with dechlorinated water

Mike

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)
Personally I use 3:1 mostly vinegar cause we have very hard water up here and the higher concentrate dissolves the "leftovers" better
then I rinse real well a couple of times.

Cynthia
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:39 AM

PTrader: (-1/0%)
if it is really bad you can scrub it with a paste of baking soda and water and then pour the vinegar solution over it and scrub a bit more. the fizzing action seems to help break up the stuff on the glass.

I use this on my front window that is always covered in impossible to get off dog goober and nose prints, and it works like a charm
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Let me hijack for a minute...I've got a few little smudges on my tank that I can't seem to get off - it almost looks like someone got epoxy (or silicone) on their fingers and left their fingerprint ridges imprinted on the tank...I've tried rubbing alcohol and good old fashioned elbow grease...anything super harsh (but non-lethal [the tank's empty anyway]) that might take these things out?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Glass or acrylic? If acrylic a mild buffing compound will take them right out. Otherwise, I dunno.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
Let me hijack for a minute...I've got a few little smudges on my tank that I can't seem to get off - it almost looks like someone got epoxy (or silicone) on their fingers and left their fingerprint ridges imprinted on the tank...I've tried rubbing alcohol and good old fashioned elbow grease...anything super harsh (but non-lethal [the tank's empty anyway]) that might take these things out?
Have you tried nail polish remover?{acetone} Razor blade? Goo Gone?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 PM
TLH

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can use white vinegar neat. Pour it on and leave it to soak in or soak a rag in it and lay this over the glass.
Why hasn't bleach been considered yet though? Aslong as you wash it off with water after it shouldn't do any harm.

@Coleman, if it's acrylic the marks are possibly from when it was put together. Those fingerprints will be melted into the acrylic by the glue they use and you'll have to polish them out. If it's glass then if you can't scrape them off with a blade you can try jewelers rouge to buff them out.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

It is in fact glass - I thin I'll try the nail polish remover...the razor blade didn't work. These marks are very odd...I'll let you know if I have any success. And I guess I could always try the vinegar again...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
There was something on my old 20L too. Never did get it off. I just got a new tank. Just as well, I found an old sticker on the tank that said it was made in 94'. Some of you probably weren't even born yet...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Hey Cole try mineral spirits. Just make sure you clean it off realy well. It should remove anything....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice...thanks, Orlando!! I'm going to try al the methods described above, and I may just document their efficacy on a different thread (if I notice major differences in cleaning ability)...I have a feeling that I'm not the only one with this problem, as I was in the pet store the other day and saw a bunch of AGA's that had similar marks on them. When I inquired, the guys was like "oh, they'll just rub right off." He tried using his shirt to prove his point, and guess what: the mark actually got worse!! He tried glass cleaner next, to no avail. A small crowd had gathered by this time to see if in fact these marks could be removed - I think it might have cost them a sale...ooops.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode