How long can I save cycled media? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
How long can I save cycled media?

I was trying hard to get my 150 ready for fish but then I got involved in live plants and between the learning process, the purchasing process and the plant establishment time my schedule has gone to $#^%.

I pre-cycled some media using an ice chest so that I would be ready when the tank was but the tank has stalled and the media has been ready for weeks. The media is so ready that I'm going broke feeding it Ammonium Chloride and I may still be a month away from fish.

There's 3 bags of ceramic in the 700 and 2 in the 500. Can I just keep on feeding it with an occasional water change?

MeCasa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 04:45 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa View Post
Can I just keep on feeding it with an occasional water change?

MeCasa
Probably.

Are having to stock this tank all at once for some reason?

If not... you're probably making more work for yourself than you need to. As long as you don't add too much bioload at once, and add to it slowly, you aren't likely to have a noticable ammonia spike on a tank this big.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
As long as you don't add too much bioload at once, and add to it slowly, you aren't likely to have a noticeable ammonia spike on a tank this big.
For some reason I'm laughing, not sure why. The last time this tank was up was some twenty years ago and I didn't know what the internet was. I also didn't know what cycling was, I just bought fish, through them in and everyone was happy.

Now I have the world wide web to give me knowledge and everything I read says that if you don't cycle your tank your fish will die!!! Well, I thought to myself, my fish never died in the old days but the internet never lies so....

Being a conscientious pet owner I went crazy making media and then you ask why? My only answer is the internet says so...

But I'll tell you what, since I went through all this work including buying three test kits I'm using this media even if it kills me.

Why do I feel like a dumb$ss

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:23 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
LOL

Nah, you're just in the relatively unusal position of having a big tank to work with.

Most people are starting off with a tank in the 5-20gal range, where ammonia from just a few fish will be incredibly more concentrated than in a 150.

Understanding the cycle is ALWAYS good info to have for troubleshooting problems, though.

'sides, isn't half the point of this tank a learning experience for your grandkids? That's your excuse!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode