Growing Dwarf Lilies and Banana Plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Growing Dwarf Lilies and Banana Plants

I was thinking about setting up the Dwarf Lily in a small dirt tank and trimming any leaves that start growing towards the surface. Would this plant do fine if I just grew it on gravel though, or does it require a rich substrate?

I've read that Banana plants grow into a much larger lily if planted in a dirt substrate. I've seen other people's setups where the Banana plant is growing just fine by floating around or tied to some driftwood, so I plan on growing it in a tank with only gravel and just dosing the water column with ferts.

Would this be a good way to grow both of these plants? Does anyone have any experience with growing either of these plants this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
No experience with banana plant but have a dwarf lily that was in an inert gravel and now inert sand substrate tank. It's grown very well and has a lot of leaves. I will add that I use some seachem liquid ferts in the tanks it's been in though.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have a Banana Plant in each my Betta Tanks. One kind of settled itself on the bottom and is growing, although I had to move the wysteria in the tank because it was blocking most of the light. The other tank the Banana Plant sits about an inch or two above the substrate and had two giant pads growing. The pads are really nice and it grows like crazy, but now I understand why people find it hard to scape with LOL. Dang thing has little shoots or stems all over the place.

Evolve-lution Member:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

3" substrate with at least dirt 1.5" + top layer such as Eco-complete, or fine sand.

Root tabs high in NPK, + CO2
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
3" substrate with at least dirt 1.5" + top layer such as Eco-complete, or fine sand.

Root tabs high in NPK, + CO2
Wouldn't all of that make them grow huge?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Dwarf Lillies become heavy root feeders, so they should do well in a dirt tank. In gravel they'll probably need some root tabs.

I recently had a couple in my 75 with inert sand and Osmocote+ root tabs (no CO2). They quickly got out of hand, becoming huge and sending out new runners literally every day. Ive read people have success trimming the runners to keep them off the surface. Pretty sure I killed mine by doing that, but I was also pruning back the largest lower leaves.

After a couple weeks of aggressive pruning, all of a sudden they just stopped growing and dropped every single one of their leaves over the course of a few days. Im not sure if they were dead or not at this point, but I just took them out.

Tags
banana plant, dwarf lily, floating, gravel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode