New to Aquatic plant aquariums-Am i doing everything right?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
first of all, a little about myself. I have a 12 gallon nano Cube with a 6500 K bulb. I put down some florite Red as the substrate and then put some gravel on top. I started the tank a little over a month ago and put in a jave fern, some anacharis, some corkscrew grass, and a banana plant. I also put in about 5 feeder goldfish to help with my cycle. Anyways, 3 of the fedder goldfish died after about 8 days-due to the cycling. I recently got my water tested and it is good to go-So i put in a black moore, a red headed oranda, and a suckerfish(PLacy i think) and i also got two tadpoles that i just happened to find in a local pond. The fish seem to be doing fine other than the fact that one of the goldfish has some fin rot. Im wondering what i should do about this so called fin rot, and also how often do i change the water and how much do i change, should i siphon the water off the bottom-or is this bad for planted tanks??? Also, My tank has a bag of carbon in the back and it says to replace this activated carbon every month-is this neccesary? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

The goldfish are too much for a 12G tank. I don't know how big they are now but they will definitely outgrow your tank. Also Goldfish will eat your plants. By adding tadpoles from a local pond may introduce unwanted bacteria or disease. A product called Melafix will treat your fin root and is safe for plants. You do not need to use carbon with a planted tank however with the Goldfish I would. Yes, you will need to change it monthly or more. I would seriously think about moving the Goldfish to a larger tank with good filtration.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

the goldies are about 2 inches long(3 counting the fins) right now and when they get too big i plan on moving them to my parents pond which is 3500 gallons. Thanks so much for the info on Fin rot-the goldfish that has it was actually my friends and it was floating on the surface of her fish bowl, so we put him in my tank and he sparked back to life. Im thinking about taking that oranda back to the fish store, but he is one of a kind. Ill keep yall updated on my tank, so far the fish havent touched the plants-but who knows, i might come back tomorrow and the tank will be one big green mess!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 03:06 AM

I highly recommend getting rid of the goldfish. Buy some nice tetras, dwarf cichlids, barbs, rasboras, danios, cories, or something else. The pleco will also get too big.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

arggg-maybe i will just have to give up on the goldfish. I have always been a sucker for goldies because of how sociable they are with humans
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

gastuck...Don't give up on the Goldfish just wait intill you can get a bigger tank. Moving them to your parents pond is a great idea.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 03:48 PM

The problem with goldfish is, even at 2" long, they still need 5 gallons of water a piece, due to their bioload. A 2" goldie excretes as much waste as a 4" tropical (excluding plecos and Oscars).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
I support goldfish! One goldfish per 10 gallon is the rule of thumb. Try floating plants. You don't have to deal with algae and they will suck the nutrients out of the water. Depending on the goldfish they don't eat frogbite or PHYLLANTHUSFLUITANS. Check aquabid.com.
http://www.e-aquaria.com/n_pfluitans.html
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Ok, even though the goldfish are absolutely beautiful, I'm goign to release them into my parents pond which contains 4 koi(about 5 inches each) and about 5 feeder goldfish ranging from 1 to 4 inches. The only problem is that we have a little heron problem and he seems to love goldfish, we put a net over the pond as well as a fishing line fence, but this bird is smart as can be and still finds his way into the pond. Also, i heard that Koi sometimes get aggresive and attack fancy goldfish-is this true??? Other than that, i might get a bigger tank in the future and take my two goldies back, but for now im gonna try some tetras and really work on the plants. Also, about my pleco, if i release him into the outdoor pond, are the goldfish in danger, the thing is only 3 inches long???

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode