Does fish food expire? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Does fish food expire?

Maybe I should rephrase...

I use Omega One Fish flakes for my tanks (minus the betta tanks). I purchased the larger size avail from my LFS. Here I am a year later and still have like half of it left.

I recently have started a 10 gallon guppy tank with 8 male guppies. My only supply for the most part are chain stores. Long story short I have had mixed success.

I recently moved my 4 remaining guppies from my 30 gal to my 10 gal. They are doing fine. But I also purchased 4 others. Every other day since then one of the new ones has died, seemingly from some sort of bladder disorder. I have been wondering if this is just luck of the draw or a problem with my food.

I believe the Omega One says it doesnt expire until 2016. But I have been doing some reading that suggest it shouldnt be used more than a year.

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Evolve-lution Member:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
I would get new. While yes the food may still feel, smell and look the same it may be nutritionally lacking. Think of it like prescription medicine. Even though you still have it your cabinet do you really want to take a tylenol 6 that's over a year old? Good luck!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
even potato chips get stale...

Will

on Facebook.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
even potato chips get stale...
That Sir is an out and out lie. Chips Never last long enough in my house to get stale. Outraged at the notion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Fish food will lose it's nutritional benefits after 9 months or so. Some people say 6 months. I try to buy my food in 3 month increments just to be safe.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
+1 on the loss of nutritional value. Just throw the old food out and get some new. The fish should be okay.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Feed it to live food cultures and get fresh stuff. Vitamin C especially likes to break down quickly, no matter how stable the manufacturer claims it is. Also keep in mind that it's spent some time on the warehouse and then store shelf before you got it, and now that it's been opened, being kept near a source of humidity (the fish tank) is not going to be good for retaining nutrients.

If you have people in the area that you can split food with, that's a good way to use up fish food in a reasonable amount of time. Also lets you buy in bulk if there are enough mouths to feed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

While I feel stupid for having to throw out half a container of flakes and half a container of pellets, I would rather do that then keep feeding it. I am glad I started questioning the food.

I originally bought the larger containers because I figured i was saving money.

Now I purchased the ones that are like one third the size of what I was getting. It is not like it all that expensive or anything. All Omega One. I am not sure if it is the best but I hear it is better than the other more well known stuff.

I do have another question though, what sort of feeding schedule should I use? I was feeding two pinches in my 30 gal and one in my 10. But in reading about fish food and expirations, it seems the standard is every other day. I was feeding everyday. There was never anything left on the bottom of the tank. I would skip every Saturday.

Is there a benefit to going every other day?

Evolve-lution Member:

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 02:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
How have you stored the food?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
How have you stored the food?
In the containers they came in. And I keep my supplies in a small closet near the tank.

And there goes guppy number 4 in 4 days. You look at the tank one second and then an hour later one is dead.

This one did start doing one strange thing. He seemed to almost be wandering aimlessly but also swimming into things .Like I noticed he just went straight into a corner then turned around and was fine but then oddly enough straight into the part of the filter that hangs in the tank. Then off in another direction. I did not think much of it until an hour later and he was dead stuck to the filter intake.

Or maybe I am missing something and they are getting stuck to the filter intake and dying. Its an Aqueon 10. I am still running the filter tab that came with it, and will be adding my own media soon (AC sponge, AC biorings, and a purigen pouch). My assumption was they are dying and then getting caught in the filter, but could it be the other way around?

The two I transferred from my 30 gal are fine, as are the two I got from a different fish store. The ones dying are the ones I recently purchased from another fish store. But they were the last of the bunch from that place so I figured they might be the hardiest.

Evolve-lution Member:

Last edited by DefStatic; 05-28-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Update
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
how long is the fish food good unopened?

Will

on Facebook.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
how long is the fish food good unopened?
According to the date, sometime in October of 2016. I have had it opened for a year now though.

Evolve-lution Member:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode