We sometimes hear so much about one hazard or another that we lose sight of what really might happen. I'm not saying it is good to leave fish in chlorine water but on the other hand we need to look at it from another way sometimes.
Chlorine doesn't just automatically kill fish. I think of it as more like a sunburn to us. If we get too much sun for too long, it gets really bad. But it does take time to add up. Chlorine does the same for soft tissue but it takes some time and does vary with how much the chlorine is diluted.
The point that Steve mentioned is that at the same time the chlorine is reacting with the fish tissues, it is also reacting with all the other organic items in the tank. Debris, plants, and animals are all soaking up the chlorine. This may not be good for any of them but the damage is being spread far and wide rather than directly at one item like the fish.
Not the best but not all that serious either.