Forgot the Prime - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Forgot the Prime

So I did an emergency water change this morning for the reasons in this post. However in my haste I forgot to add prime to the gallon of water before I added it to the tank.

It's only a Fluval Spec 3 and I replace a gallon at a time. What tipped me off was that my snail took a trip out of the water shortly after the WC.

Upon noticing my error about 5 - 10 minutes after adding the water I added enough prime for the whole tank.

The Betta seems none the worse for wear but the snail is still hanging out above the water line (he does this on occasion anyway).

So how big did I screw up here?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You should be fine. I always add Prime/Safe after I add water to the tank.

7g Cube -
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Yea it dechlorinates fastest if its in before you put the water in the tank, but just takes a lil more time if you do it after. I almost always do it after tho, kinda hard to treat 25+ gallons before you put it in w/o a container

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Chlorine begins neutralizing itself immediately upon entering the tank as it begins combining with the existing organic compounds. Shortly after adding it it will decreased considerably in its acidic strength.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
We sometimes hear so much about one hazard or another that we lose sight of what really might happen. I'm not saying it is good to leave fish in chlorine water but on the other hand we need to look at it from another way sometimes.
Chlorine doesn't just automatically kill fish. I think of it as more like a sunburn to us. If we get too much sun for too long, it gets really bad. But it does take time to add up. Chlorine does the same for soft tissue but it takes some time and does vary with how much the chlorine is diluted.
The point that Steve mentioned is that at the same time the chlorine is reacting with the fish tissues, it is also reacting with all the other organic items in the tank. Debris, plants, and animals are all soaking up the chlorine. This may not be good for any of them but the damage is being spread far and wide rather than directly at one item like the fish.
Not the best but not all that serious either.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Not to thread hyjack, but I have recently switched to Prime.

If one was doing a water change, of any size, and could not remember if they added Prime or not, would it be best to add it again? Can you do more harm by adding too much?

I have had these situations where I am multi-tasking too much and jump the gun and can't recall if I added conditioner or not.

Evolve-lution Member:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octantis View Post
Upon noticing my error about 5 - 10 minutes after adding the water I added enough prime for the whole tank.

So how big did I screw up here?
5-10 minutes isn't usually a big issue as others have mentioned here. Not ideal, but not really that harmful.

Depending on your distance from the water treatment plant chlorine concentrations will decline, so your water may have more or less chlorine in it than someone else's. This means that depending on your location and the chlorine concentration in the water your water can be more or less harmful to fish and plants. Sometimes the chlorine levels are too low to cause any problems even if left untreated, and other times it may be high enough to cause damage within a few minutes or hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
If one was doing a water change, of any size, and could not remember if they added Prime or not, would it be best to add it again? Can you do more harm by adding too much?
Better to add more than not add. It won't harm the tank if you dose twice.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Is it a nerite snail? They seem to like exploring beyond the water's surface. I'm sure your tank will be fine since you caught it quickly.

Zapins (or anyone else that knows) - I've heard that it's okay to overdose Prime but that it may not be true for something like Stress Coat? Is that true?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 03:25 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Prime is a dechlorinator. The active chemical in it is not particularly toxic or harmful to fish or plants.

I'm not sure about stress coat because it contains other chemicals that most water conditioners don't have. I'd say 2x the recommended dose is safe to use for all water conditioners. The companies that make these chemicals usually ensure that the toxic dose is several times (if not several hundred or thousand times) higher than the recommended dose. Compare that with the certain risks of any amount of chlorinated water.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
Is it a nerite snail? They seem to like exploring beyond the water's surface. I'm sure your tank will be fine since you caught it quickly.
It is a Nerite snail. And O do I know about them leaving the water. One time coming back from a weekend the little guy went on a walk-a-bout. Was out of the tank, down my desk, and on the carpet. Plopped him back in and he couldn't be the worse for wear.

Two things have helped to keep him in the tank (voluntarily). The first was a change in water. I switched from using municipal water to bringing some from home that was cut 50% with RO water. The second was treating the BGA in the tank with Erythromicyn. After the first dose he hasn't left the water. In fact he's eating with a ferocity I've not ever seen. Note my BGA was in fact black and not blue but supposedly a lot of different bacteria strains (cynobacteria) fall into Blue Green Algae.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode