1-2 Gallon Walstad RCS Bowl, I have questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 1-2 Gallon Walstad RCS Bowl, I have questions.

I want to experiment with a small shrimp vase/bowl using Walstad method. I did a bit of reading but still have some concerns as I have never done anything outside of my one tank.

First question, from what I understand I would rare do wcs and it would mostly be top ups. I am assuming I would do this the same way as a normal tank wc with treated water that is matched for temp. right?

When I first start can I just use water from my tank? Or should I just use treated tap water? Would this jar cycle? I can't imagine it would, from the reading it seems like the plants use up the toxins and the shrimp / snails would feed the plants.

So does that mean I can plant it and put shrimp and snails in right away? or should I do just plants for a while to let the plants establish themselves?

How would I control / avoid algae? I am not to use ferts right? The idea is to have the plants use up everything and leave nothing for algae?

What else do i need to know before trying this? I don't want to just kill my shrimp or plants.

I wasn't going to use any of the following:
no light, no filter, no heater.

Just a bowl / vase / jar (i haven't picked it out yet) safe -t-sorb substrate (same as my tank) and a ton of plants (all clippings from my tank)

Livestock would be rcs, mts, ramshorn, and pond snails. I don't know how much of each. Any suggestions? Assume for 1g how much of each could I put? If I then end up with a larger 3-4g I would just do the multiplication and work it out that way.

I understand its all about balance but I really have no idea where to start. I am still trying to figure out the balancing act in my 75g. its going well but not perfect, yet

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 AM
Algae Grower

If I understand it correctly (and I'm pretty sure I don't), you are missing 2 things. You need soil under the substrate, and light. Then you put in fast growing plants and they use up the ammonia/nitrite rather than using a filter to convert it to nitrate. But, I think you are supposed to use soil and light to get that fast nitrogen consumption.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Safe t sorb is inert so I guess the soil is to add nutrients? If so it would only last so long before becoming inert like the safe t sorb. Light would be natural light from window.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I started a 1.5g vase with Miracle grow organic potting mix, bunch of bacopa, some water lettuce, and an hour later 10 RCS. Put it in the window and didn't lose one. Bred a couple times. No heater. Temp dropped down around 55 and up to 82 throughout the year. Changed water maybe twice in a year, the rest tops off.

If in doubt, add more plants!

My not-enough-plants-but-not-enough-space-to-put-anymore-so-will-start-going-up-box-of-water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jeepguy; 05-27-2014 at 03:03 AM. Reason: More
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
Safe t sorb is inert so I guess the soil is to add nutrients? If so it would only last so long before becoming inert like the safe t sorb.
I have dirted 1.75g vase that's been set up for 11mo now and still going strong. One of my Vals is 30"+. There are members here with dirted tanks 4-5+yrs and counting with no additional ferts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So do I need mcopm? Or will my clay substrate work?

If you vases do you ever have algae problems?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode