African Dwarf frog is eating my hornwort - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
African Dwarf frog is eating my hornwort

HI:

My african dwarf frogs are eating hornwort needles. Is this okay?

Also, will they eat red cherry shrimp and amano shrimp if I put them in there?

I love the darn frogs. Beginning to think i should have just gotten frogs and no fish. Then i could have gotten more. I think they uprooted my anachurus plant though.

dbw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 07:53 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbw27 View Post
HI:

My african dwarf frogs are eating hornwort needles. Is this okay?

Also, will they eat red cherry shrimp and amano shrimp if I put them in there?

I love the darn frogs. Beginning to think i should have just gotten frogs and no fish. Then i could have gotten more. I think they uprooted my anachurus plant though.

dbw
Aquatic frogs are strictly carnivores.. They will not willingly ingest plant matter. Disturbing plants is also very rare for African dwarf frogs since they are so small.. Are the front feet webbed on your frog? This could be a Xenopus (African clawed frog) which are known to bite at plants (which they mistake for food and spit out immediately) and these frogs are much more powerful and do uproot plants. If the front legs are not webbed that is the kind of frog you have.. Far as eating shrimp, bother hymenochirus (adf) and Xenopus (acf) will eat anything that will fit in its mouth and it can catch.. Xenopus is just much faster and have a much larger mouth..
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay. I checked the little frogs' feet. The front feet are webbed. I do not believe I am mistaken: the frog was sucking in hornwort and actually eating it. I was watching it.

Yes, I do feed them. Bloodworms. Tasty treat. I might invest in some frog gel or also frozen brine shrimp. But they are seriously eating the hornwort.

Maybe I am too quick to blame the frog for uprooting my anachurus, but SOMEONE did.

dbw

Last edited by dbw27; 05-26-2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: punctuation

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Okay. I checked the little frogs' feet. The front feet are webbed. I do not believe I am mistaken: the frog was sucking in hornwort and actually eating it. I was watching it.

Yes, I do feed them. Bloodworms. Tasty treat. I might invest in some frog gel or also frozen brine shrimp. But they are seriously eating the hornwort.

Maybe I am too quick to blame the frog for uprooting my anachurus, but SOMEONE did.

dbw
They do not eat hornwort but he may be seeing something moving around in the hornwort that is appetizing to him.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh great. Now I am fearful that there is something moving around in my hornwort.

dbw
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Oh great. Now I am fearful that there is something moving around in my hornwort.

dbw
Free frog food.. Wouldn't worry. Any small hijacker in your plants being actively hunted in your plants probably won't thrive long in a small enclosed system such as an aquarium.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh kewl. You rock. Thanks. :-)

I have a question. Would you be able to tell me how long I can leave uneaten blood worms in the tank? Tonight was interesting. I put in some bloodworms (the amount the lfs guy told me to put in for two African Dwarf Frogs). The frogs ate some bloodworms, not all of it, and then went away playing with each other and being ridiculous. The rummy nose tetras came over and decided to forage in remaining bloodworms. Good for them I say. Then both assassin snails come over to the small bloodworm area.

Pretty soon, I had two frogs, two assassin snails, and rummy fish all congregated over a small spot of blood worms (thawed frozen). Was interesting. I sat and watched them a long time.

I decided after two hours that I didn't want blood worms just hanging out in my tank causing decay. After all, two nights ago, the frogs left mess too.

I took my ammonia level and it was at 0.25. I did a 35% (?) water change. I read that toxic was 0.50.

So I did a water change, siphoned the sand a little, and took out a few leaves. Was I overzealous?

Thanks!

dbw
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Who knows what frogs may do?

A few years ago, a frog species was discovered that ate fruit.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh kewl. :-) I love the little frogs. They are so cute.

dbw
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:31 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Oh kewl. You rock. Thanks. :-)

I have a question. Would you be able to tell me how long I can leave uneaten blood worms in the tank? Tonight was interesting. I put in some bloodworms (the amount the lfs guy told me to put in for two African Dwarf Frogs). The frogs ate some bloodworms, not all of it, and then went away playing with each other and being ridiculous. The rummy nose tetras came over and decided to forage in remaining bloodworms. Good for them I say. Then both assassin snails come over to the small bloodworm area.
All uneaten food should be removed immediately.

Quote:
Pretty soon, I had two frogs, two assassin snails, and rummy fish all congregated over a small spot of blood worms (thawed frozen). Was interesting. I sat and watched them a long time.
Fish tend to out-compete ADF for food, as they are notoriously slow eaters. Just something to keep in mind.

Quote:
I decided after two hours that I didn't want blood worms just hanging out in my tank causing decay. After all, two nights ago, the frogs left mess too.
Right, whatever the frogs don't eat, remove it with a turkey baster, try to get a feel for how much food your frogs can eat in several minutes to try to waste less food.

Quote:
I took my ammonia level and it was at 0.25. I did a 35% (?) water change. I read that toxic was 0.50.
Any trace of ammonia is toxic.

Quote:
So I did a water change, siphoned the sand a little, and took out a few leaves. Was I overzealous?
Nope. Any detectable ammonia would make me freak out too, I would have done a 50% water change even. Is this tank cycled?

Quote:
Thanks!

dbw
No Problem.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi:

Thanks for writing me! Yes, the tank is cycled. It had 0 0 0 readings before. Once I took it to the lfs and it had traces of ammonia and I did a water change. That was on Saturday. Yesterday, traces of ammonia and I did a water change. I am probably overfeeding? Not taking out enough decaying plant matter? Or something. I feed the little wild acting frogs every other day. The fish every day (flakes). I feed very little flakes as I was told.

In my 15.8 tank I only had 3 rummy fish tetras, 2 african dwarf frogs, and 2 assassin snails. I do have a lot of plants though. Hardly enough for ammonia. Must be me for not removing decaying plant matter.

I plan to start putting the frog's food on a little saucer in a particular area every other day and that may make it easier to remove everything with a turkey baster after they are done. I also plan to put less food. The lfs told me how much food to put, which seemed like just a little when he was telling me, but I think it is still too much. I understand I am also to vary their diet, so I plan to also get some frozen brine shrimp, and maybe that frog and tadpole bite stuff.

dbw

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode