10 gallon ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to thejoie
10 gallon ferts

I think it's about time to start dosing my tank. It's been set up for about 3 weeks and I'm starting to get signs of some hair algae. Gotta get the balance back!!!

Would I be ok just dosing liquid ferts? I've heard positive and negative things about Seachem's stuff but what are the alternatives then?

Birds: Hahn's Macaw (Mia), Parrotlet (Millie), 2 Parakeets (Pixie and Pete)
Dogs: Boston Terrier (Wilbur), Bichon mix (Toby)
Tanks: 20L turtle tank
30 gallon salt water reef
10 gallon planted tank
2 betta tanks (Lucas and Mouth)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Seachem's ferts are fine, but it is just cheaper to use dry ferts in the long run. How much light do you have? Plants (species and how heavily planted is the tank)? CO2? This will help us give better advice

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a 40 watt light, but because it's a 10 gallon it comes out to be a bit less than the 4 watts per gallon, I have the Red Sea CO2 system. It's moderately-heavily planted right now. Will probably be heavily planted in the long run. I have Eco Complete substrate. I run about 8-9 hours of light a day

10 gallon planted tank

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yea, you'll need ferts for that amount of lighting. You can check out rexgrigg.com for some very good info about dosing dry ferts. He also sells the ferts on his site.

Also, make sure you do your best to keep your co2 consistent. CO2 is a VERY common cause for algae. Even if your dosing is good, if co2 is off, algae will crush you

Mike

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
IMHO on a 10gal tank it might be easier to stick with liquid ferts just b/c the dosing is a bit easier than dry ferts; either one would be fine though?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
I have Seachem's stuff and I don't recommend using it. You're possibly looking to dose 7 bottles of stuff (Fluorish, Iron, Excel, Potassium, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Trace). It's pretty time consuming, and around $8 a 500ml bottle is more than a lot of people want to spend.

I think a lot of people on the forums get dry ferts from Rex Grigg and mix their own stuff. Supposed to be pretty cheap and effective.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/

I've also stumbled upon a line of product from the UK that is available at Big Al's called Tropica Aquacare. There are only 2 things to dose, Nutrition (formerly called Tropica Master Grow) and Nutrition+. It comes in liquid and capsule form so you can just shove it in the substrate if you are lazy and don't want to dose everyday. I've only read favorable things about it on the forums and wish I had found this before I bought all those Seachem bottles.

http://www.tropica.com/article.asp?type=news&id=679

Check out this member's tank. He seems to only be using Plant Nutrition+ and his plants look great.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...knock-off.html
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the info guys! I will definitely be looking into all these!

10 gallon planted tank

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think Big Al's is out of Plant Nutrition+ in liquid form right now as I only see it in tabs. He does have Plant Nutrition in liquid form though.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealinv...x=0&submit.y=0
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do like the idea of liquid fertilizers because mixing the dry ones for such a small tank would seem very complicated. And yet, so does having a dosing schedule.... lol... oh man

10 gallon planted tank

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's not hard at all to do on a 10 gallon. Basically, you make stock solutions (which would be in liquid form, just like Seachem), which you add to the tank in prescribed amounts. You would mix the same stock solution no matter how big the tank is. You just add different amounts of the liquid depending on the size of the tank, just like Seachem products. Like I said, Seachem works well, I just prefer not to pay a premium for someone else to mix my ferts for me.

Mike

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I say go with the Tropica all the way. Dosing 1 or 2 products everyday beats following a dosing schedule of 7 Seachem products. Check out this sample dosing schedule they provide.

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDosingChart.html
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoie View Post
I do like the idea of liquid fertilizers because mixing the dry ones for such a small tank would seem very complicated. And yet, so does having a dosing schedule.... lol... oh man
You could go with dry, but you would need a measuring scale to measure very small amounts. For a 10G Seachems line up would work great for you.
And would be very easy to dose. Good luck
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OMG seachem has got to be out of their minds!

mpodolan- I totally see your point

10 gallon planted tank

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

arg.
this is seriously the hardest decision I've had to make in planted tank keeping.
lol. Everything else, I knew what I wanted. This.. is like... hmm...

10 gallon planted tank

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to confuted
I've used both. Get the dry ferts and a water bottle with a squirt top. Measure the ferts out, dump them in the bottle, add water and shake. Then every day, measure out a fixed amount from the bottle with a measuring spoon and dump it in the tank.

All the dry ferts I need cost about as much as one bottle of Seachem's stuff, and now I dose out of one bottle instead of several. It's surprisingly difficult to follow the directions on a Seachem bottle for a 10g tank, too: the solutions are so concentrated that they give dosing for larger tanks. When you're making the solution, you can choose how concentrated it is, and make it once every month or two.

The forums can help you with how much dry fert to add to x amount of water, etc, and help you figure out dosing. It's pretty easy to do with measuring spoons. (I could post what I'm using, but I haven't been doing it for long enough to know if it's right).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode