Dosing Regime For Dry Ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
Dosing Regime For Dry Ferts

Okay so i have a 55 gallon tank and i am dosing as seachem stuff excel, iron, k, p, trace, PO4 and i go of of the odsing regime off their website and i am going to switch over to dry ferts here pretty soon. I was wondering how you guys dose your dry ferts. How many times a week for each fert, how much to get the concentation i need for good plants growth and any other information you would deem valuable. And what are the advantages of dosing dry fert besides the cost. I hear people say that they dont have as big of a problem with algae when using dry ferts, why is that. Any info would be greatly appreaciated. Oh yes and i have DIY Co2 for now and for lighting i have coarlife 4*64watt but i usually have 2 of them on so that gives me around 2.5 wpg or i could have close to 5wpg.

Thanks
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Here is a link to some dosing regimes. Or do a search for EI (estimative index)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-regimes_.html

This site explains dry ferts very well
http://rexgrigg.com/

Just a heads up, with that much light, DIY co2 is gonna be tough to maintain, especially on a larger tank like that, which can lead to algae.

Ferts help prevent algae by providing the plants with the nutrients they need to grow. However, they also need a consistent source of carbon (co2). If any of these is limited, algae can take advantage. Good plant growth helps prevent algae.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Oh, if I were you, I wouldn't run more than 2 of the bulbs unless I had pressurized co2. The more light you have, the more demand there is for co2 and nutrients

Mike

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
i have looked on some of the regimes that you guys suggested and i noticed that they only use iron 3 times a week and on the one i am using from seachem it tells me to use it every day. Another thing i here is dosing macro and micros together, i hear not to do it, but which is which i use Seachem Iron, Excel, Potassium, Phosphours, Trace, and floursh(i guess comprehensive the dark colored kind) which are macros and which are micros, so that i dont dose them on the same days? Sorry for all the questions i am just trying to learn before i buy more ferts thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Steve Hampton wrote a good article about macronutrients and micronutrients and what most of them are used for:
http://www.aquariaplants.com/nutrientsfertilizers.htm

Here's a list of the macronutrients and micronutrients from his article:

"There are 17 essential elements that aquatic plants need. They are broken down into 2 main groups, macronutrients and micronutrients.

There are nine Macronutrients as follows:
Hydrogen
Oxygen
Carbon
Nitrogen
Potassium
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphorus
Sulfur

And there are eight Micronutrients as follows:
Iron
Manganese
Chlorine
Zinc
Boron
Nickel
Copper
Molybdenum

Hydrogen and Oxygen are easy to supply and should be pretty self explanatory."

You might want some information about nutrient deficiencies and toxicity too: http://www.aquariaplants.com/plantdeficiencies.htm

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
The reason people say not to dose them together is the Iron will bind with the phosphate and precipitate out of the water (basically turn into a solid).

Also I would suggest not dosing macros using the flourish as it just gets to costly to dose enough. Dry ferts are much more concentrated and way more cost effective.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode