Breeding Cherries for food. Do you do it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Breeding Cherries for food. Do you do it?

As my yellow convicts are growing and are very picky on what they eat, I am wanting to see if they take a liking to live shrimp. I dont want to buy ghosts becasue sometimes they are super gross. So I thought since cherries are so prolific this could be an option. Granted I wouldnt feed good looking females to the fish just males and crappy looking females. Does anyone have any experience with feeding cichlids RCS and whether or not there is a sufficient amount of nutritional value in RCS to be fed half the time? I hope I didnt break anyone heart by bringing this up.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I'm pretty sure I've seen others mention that they "cull the herd" by feeding some of the extras to fish.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodolan View Post
I'm pretty sure I've seen others mention that they "cull the herd" by feeding some of the extras to fish.
I want to do more then cull. I want to feed out 75% or so of the stock. Keeping out of 100 mayeb 20 females and 5 males to keep the population going. If I can get 20 females putting out 30 shrimplets a month. I can cull out 20 adult shrimp a day after two to three months. The only thing I have no information on is the nutritional value of the shrimp. I will be feeding the RCS krill from Kensfish since my Yellow cons wont touch it. So I know the RCS will be getting alot of quality food, but will that nutrition be passed on to the cons like how people gutload crickets to feed to thier herps?

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
I know a guy who does this...he feeds his cherries to his killifish. He had thousands in his 30 gallon bare bottom tank with a little guppy grass, two sponge filter, and a single strip of 24" light. His cherries wasn't very red though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Ry- I'd guess the cherries will be as nutritious as what you feed them.

I'd personally try it, but only as one food option since I'm a big proponent of varied diets since most fish are truly opportunistic omnivores in the wild.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I'm gonna go out on a limb (without any scientific analysis of the nutritional value) and say that if the shrimp are healthy and well fed, they should provide a very nice food source for fish

Mike

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)
I don't know about nutritional value but I do cull and give them to my angels
and they seem to breed shortly after recieving the shrimp.???
Cindy

Cynthia
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The problem that I have with my yellow cons is they are SO PICKY. They only eat my cheapo flake. They wont touch my krill superba from kensfish, they wont eat algae flake, they wont touch large golden pearls, and they wont touch the cichlid pellets I have. They have been eating my ramshorns snails which was a shock to me and this crappy flake food I have. Since they hunt my snails down I am sure they will take a fancy to cherries. Now I have to set up a cherry breeding tank that can support 600-700 cherries. I think that calls for my 30g to come out of hibernation. I hope my wife wont mind

Peace,
Ry

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:10 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I sometimes feed the RCS, that I find in my filter during maintenance, to my discus and angels.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
i fed some to my lemon tetras yesterday... although by accident. oops.
i didnt think they were going to get eaten but they picked out two of the smallest ones.

i've been wondering why i've never seen baby shrimp. now i know.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Have you tried frozen foods? I honestly can't imagine convicts being that picky. I've seen fish that would turn their noses up at some flakes and pellets but it's usually a case of my dog won't eat dry dogfood because all I feed him is table scraps. Don't feed them for 3 or 4 days and see if they eat anything you throw in the tank.

Have you tried red worms? It might be a better (easier to culture in quantity, more nutrition) for them and you in the long run. A styro cooler in a cool place seeded with a few dozen red worms and fed veggy scraps and dried leaves will produce hundreds of worms in a couple of months. Plus if you judge the "work" involved in the cultures and bulk of the food you will be feeding, red worms will win over shrimp. Just about anything will eat them and a worm a piece a day will keep them fat.

I bought a pair of killies at an auction and for lack of a better place to put them I stuck them in my shrimp tank for a couple of days. Lost a whole generation in less than 48 hours. I haven't found many things that won't eat cherries, including newts...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode