My test tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My test tank

I have a little area on my counter top behind the sink. I think its meant as an eating are or something, but I put a fish tank there, so it can be viewed from either side. I set this tank up about 6 months ago with a bag of Eco Complete and a random assortment of plants I bought at my local store. some of the plants are doing very well, some are not. I put no more effort into this tank than I would a fish only tank, I mostly just did this as a test, to see how much of a black thumb I really have.

so, this is a 30 gallon with a whisper filter and Eco Complete, no ferts and no Co2, 29 watts of light.
What can I do to get the most out of this tank?

before showing you the pictures, I want to point out that I didn't really put any though into this design. I had some fish in there, they died. So I went to the store and talked to the guy and went home with a bag of EC and some plants. So I mixed the EC with the rocks I already had and arranged the plants around the ornaments I already had. the result is a very ugly tank, but I like it all the same. If only I just get rid of the rainbow rocks without tedious sorting.

from the kitchen:

From the living room:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:08 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Firstly, I want to say that your aquarium seems to be overstocked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someonelse View Post
so, this is a 30 gallon with a whisper filter and Eco Complete, no ferts and no Co2, 29 watts of light.
What can I do to get the most out of this tank?
That is entirely up to you. I've seen many people with beautiful low light, no CO2 setups. However, to ensure success, you'll definitely want to rethink your current stock list (for example, gold fish tend to go to town when placed with live plants).

Do you want to keep going with your multicolour gravel? Do you want to design a "natural" looking aquarium (i.e. without the fake ornaments)?

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
yes, that is a temporary situation.
Right now I am working on my big tank, so all my fish are split between my 30 gal and my 60 gal.
once I get the 120 gal up and running the cichlids now in my 60 gal will go in there and all those gold fish will go in the 60 gal.

When this tank was first set up about 18 months ago it was a very colorful fish tank with a bunch of cichlids. the fish came and went and I decided to try out some live plants and see how long it would take them to die. so far they seem to be doing ok though, at least they're still alive.

Once I get the gold fish out I will probably take out a few of the ornaments as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode