Keeping substrates from mixing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Keeping substrates from mixing?

I need to find a way to keep my substrate from mixing, i want a nice sandy patch on the side with my plants or the opposite side. i want one side to have sand like a river and one with gravel. would putting a lining in it would it keep from mixing? any ideas or pics of how you did it?

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:05 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm not sure a lining would work; however, some people have used cardboard and/or overhead transparencies as well as (the thinnest) sheets of acrylic. This should work to prevent your substrates from mixing (it also does a good job of confining plants to one area, i.e. you might not want your Hairgrass growing everywhere).

I couldn't find pictures, but there's a lot of prior discussion regarding this as well.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok i'll look into that. but otherwise, anybody have any more tips or secrets?

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSerpant View Post
Ok i'll look into that. but otherwise, anybody have any more tips or secrets?
My 20H planted shrimp tank has only been up for about 3 mos and has a sand patch through the middle of it. I used a piece of plexi glass to separate the substrates with small pebble stone on either side of the plexi glass. When I pulled out the plexi glass the small stones held the substrates in place. So far it has remained seperated. The front of the tank is 1/2 sand 1/2 eco. The sand tapers to the back to a point.
PB
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So would i buy a piece of plexi glass about 3" tall and as wide as my aquarium? i think i might do that, but how would you keep the plexiglass in place?

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
You can probably silicone it to the bottom of the tank

Mike

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

and if you want to take it out? lol.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSerpant View Post
So would i buy a piece of plexi glass about 3" tall and as wide as my aquarium? i think i might do that, but how would you keep the plexiglass in place?
the weight of each substrate on either side of the plexi should hold it in place.
I have a "river" of sand in between my eco and I dont have anything separating them... click on the link of "29gall" in my sig if you want to see it...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Wait nvm, you can just put the substrates where you want it as long as it's as high as the silicone.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode