cycling with established media - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (-1/0%)
cycling with established media

how long does cycling generally take if you have added established filter, media, sand, rocks, decorations and plants from a well established but signifigantly smaller tank? We also added some drift wood and plants from the ten gallon as well as a few river rocks.

We put the gouramis right in with the stuff as it all came from their home and the pleco went in too since he was too large to go anywhere else.

We had a minor nitrite spike on day 3 but it went down on its own within 25 hours. I dont remember exactly what it was but it was between the first and second color on the chart.
Nitrates hover between 15 and 25 ppm
ph is 6.8
water is medium soft

plants are thriving and take up about 25% of the tank right now as I just thinned out the hornwort

But I have no idea how long it takes for the bacteria to colonize the new tank

I have the 5 cories and gold ram waiting to be moved as well as the two tiny loaches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
It depends. Having established media etc definitely helps speed the process up.

The bacterial colony will only grow large enough to support the bioload of the tank. This means that adding more fish will likely lead to some ammonia/nitrite spikes, as it takes a little while for the colony to adapt and expand to handle the new bioload.

Luckily, plants can help, as they love the ammonia, so they suck it up quickly in many cases. I'd say that you could likely add a bunch of fast growing stems and add your other fish.

How big is the new tank? Do you have an ammonia test?

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

the tank is around 70 gallons, 48" long

I have narrow leaf ludwigia, anarchsis, lots of camboba and hornwort in major abundance, until today it was probably closer to 35% in plant mass but the hornwort was just out of control so I thinned it and put some in the 10 gallon and the re-cycling 12 gallon.

I have a master test kit and have been testing almost daily to see what the levels were doing, which is really a lot nothing other than a rise in nitrate to stay steady at about 20ppm.

Should I add half the cories, or all of them? or the single ram (the ram isnt going to add much to the bioload as small as it currently is)

for plants I have about 8 stalks of hygrophillia, two good sized anubias and a clump of microsword just put in as well as some java moss in the darkest corner of the tank.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

70 gallons is a good amount of water. I'd say you could probably add the rest of your fish. Just keep an eye on your parameters and do partial water changes to keep the water clean or if you see a spike

Mike

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If nitrites are at 0 then you are done or close to done with cycling. How long have you been cycling? If they are all still small fish I would just add them all and feed lightly for the next few days. Keep with checking your ammonia and nitrites til nitrites goes back again to 0. If the numbers start climbing to fast(though unlikely), just do more partial water changes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:27 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd space out moving the fish in and check parameters for a few days in between?

I'd go ahead and move the cories over, check parameters for a few days, and if no spikes then move the ram and loaches?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I wasnt sure how long to wait and this tank is just so much bigger than what i have ever had!

Ill get my hubby to help me move the cories tonight or in the morning and we will see how it goes.

I bought a huge bundle of plants last week and got home and it was not nearly enough, it covered one corner of the tank...its just so darn roomy!!

I just ordered a liter of prime from bigals, because the little 4 ounce bottles I can get locally arent going to last long!

I was looking at pythons the other day, and I think we need one especially since the dog sprained my shoulder elbow and wrist and possibly tore my rotator cuff yesterday which will be the third time it has been torn or pulled in 5 years. Lifting a gallon jug isnt going to be in my schedule anytime soon.

But if the water fills directly from the sink how do you dechlorinate?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

You can just add the recommended amount as it fills or right before you re-fill

Mike

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Planted Member

You use much less though if you treat the water in bucket before adding, than directly to the tank. However if you cant lift buckets then just add it to tank before the water.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Or you can do what I've done and just drizzle some dechlor in slowly with the water from the python. Though I only risk that b/c I"m on well water, actually...

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Well instead of the python we got a bigger gravel vac with a really long hose so I can just run it out the door to drain and for now I will use the gallon jug to refill, im too paranoid about over/underdosing on chemicals to dose the whole tank, 6 to 10 trips to the sink to refill it is tedious but I go slow when refilling anyway so I dont shock them with ph changes.

I need to figure out what to do with this mean gourami, he is at it again and none of the LFs want one as they are a dime a dozen around here, the other one is peaceful and gets along with the other fish, even swimming and resting with the cories.
The cories were moved this morning into the big this morning and all went well.
one of the peppered ones has chosen the top of the powerhead as his favorite spot, I guess he enjoys the birds eye view of the world, when he isnt cruisin around for food he is resting up there.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 05:13 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

IMO a Python would really be a good investment- even if you just refill the bucket sitting next to the tank then lift and pour it would be less wear and tear on you physically than having to carry the bucket from the sink? Plus not having to carry wastewater buckets...

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

the wastewater buckets are no more...it will drain right out the door into the garden now.
More than likely we will end up getting one, but I also had to buy a bigger heater today and was with the hubby at the store. I didnt want to push it!

not to mention the fact that he is being really maternal right now lol, he wont let me do anything that might be possibly painful...the man brushed my hair for me :O and he is in town for the next two month solid doing some training classes to renew his liscenses for work, it can wait!!!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you have two tiny loaches?
what are they
almost all loaches are very social and need to be in larger groups (check out loaches online for all your loach info)
Have you added a new filter to the 70 gallon?
You went from 10 to 70 right?
I'd guess that your fish load in the 70 is really light if they all came from the 10.
Personally I just add a "seeded filter" to a new tank, feed lightly and under stock.
I do 50% WC every week.

under stock
over filter

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode