flake food vs pellets, lets talk nitrates. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
flake food vs pellets, lets talk nitrates.

So i was origionally feeding pellets and fresh veg with brine shrimps.

I was having my nitrates fall to 0 and i began dosing kno3 to keep it at around 10-20ppm

I recently bought algae wafers and NLS flake food. Starting feeding more flake food than pellets as my fish LOVE this stuff.

I notice now that my nitrates are starting at around 10ppm now and I stopped dosing kno3. Is this somehow connected to my flake food that I am feeding? I don't understand it but I like that I don't have to dose kno3 now.

Also my tank is around 2 months old and I always had low PH in the tank which I think had to do with substrate and driftwood or the slate. not sure which.

Point is my tap has always been higher ph, like around 8 and my tank was always around 6.6 or 6.4.

I been watching my tank and now it seems to be sitting more around 7.2-7.4 ish. I wonder why this is.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Algae Grower

That's very interesting. My tank water matches my tap to a tee, about 8.2 I have limestone rocks in my tank so I'm sure that's part of the reason why it remains so stable.

I had no idea that driftwood could lower PH by that much but my concern would be if your adding water that's 8.0 does the tank water PH go up even for a short while before it comes back down? And how does that affect your fish? Is it okay to have a spike in your water if it's only for a short time?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have resorted to doing 3-4 wc's a week, which is not bad. I only change out 5g at a time to avoid any swings in pH, the before and after pH only changes .2 so its no big deal to the fish.

I am honestly not sure if the driftwood is what was causing the ph to drop. I still notice a drop in pH over the days but not sure if that's just due to degassing or what.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode