Not sure whats going on here - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not sure whats going on here

I have a 75 gallon tank lightly planted. I use dry ferts and follow the ei dosing method. I also use flourish excell and flourish comprehensive. I have a dyi co2 system and my co2 is around the 30 ppm mark.
Nitrates are 40 ppm.
I also have a t5 ho cora life light that I bought used so it has the Actinic and the 10000k bulb. Not sure when the last time the bulbs were changed.

The co2 started a week ago and the ferts started 2 weeks ago.
Now my amazon swords are starting to look a bit see through and some of the leaves are turning brown as if they are being burnt. I also have anubis nanas that are Starting to turn brown as well and they are starting to curl.
Anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Can you post some pictures? What are your water parameters? What are the dry ferts you dose? How much?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I too experienced bad results as I started to use dry ferts. I don't use c02 though.

I have since been just dosing flourish comp weekly and doing more water changes then normal and cut my light time down to 8 hours from 10 hour and my plants are doing better now then ever.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
First, I can't remenber how many people have said that Corallife bulbs are something to be avoided.
But then you indicated that you got this used so who knows how old they are.
I have tried many types of bulbs and no not all have been covered but True Lumen gives me the best, most natural looking colors in my tank of any brand I have tried.
Specifically from Doctors Foster & Smith(other sites sell a bulb they call a "Flora Pink"
but only the DR F & S sells one they call just "Flora"). The bulb looks pink in the picture but has white light @ 6700K. If you have two bulbs you might want to use either a True
Lumen "White" bulb @ 12,000K or a Zoo Med "Ocean sun" @ 10,000K for brightness
as the second bulb. Any/all these bulbs grow plants excelently.
Any two of those bulbs I mentioned from Dr F & S will be less than $30 total.
Put good bulbs in your tank and then see how the plants are doing after a couple of weeks.
An additional question: In the dry ferts are Micros covered ? If so Flourish Comprehensive is a Micro so you should not be using it with a dry Micro.
If you are using it AS the Micro, that is fine, I do also. It MIGHT not harm anything to use them both.
Is might a word you want to trust ? What did you have for light before you got the T5 ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

for me I used flourish as a micro with my macro dry ferts. I just think it was too much for the plants. and I was lightly dosing like pps pro type of thing.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just did a water change so the water is a bit distorted, but I was able to take a few pics that kinda show the issue. I also took a pic of the tank as a whole and the co2 I have running into the power head.
The only water parameters I am able to check is ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph.

Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 40
ph = 6.4

The ph was 7.6 before the co2 and now its 6.4 so I fiugured the co2 is roughly 30 ppm.

The ferts are dosed at KNO3 = 3/4 teaspoon, KH2PO4 = 3/16 teaspoon and the K2O4 is 1/4 teaspoon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140523_202017[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	324322  

Name:	20140523_202035[1].jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	324330  

Name:	20140504_220431[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	324338  

Name:	20140523_202105[1].jpg
Views:	24
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	324354  

Name:	20140523_202020[1].jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	324394  

Name:	20140523_202116[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	324482  

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
First, I can't remenber how many people have said that Corallife bulbs are something to be avoided.
But then you indicated that you got this used so who knows how old they are.
I have tried many types of bulbs and no not all have been covered but True Lumen gives me the best, most natural looking colors in my tank of any brand I have tried.
Specifically from Doctors Foster & Smith(other sites sell a bulb they call a "Flora Pink"
but only the DR F & S sells one they call just "Flora"). The bulb looks pink in the picture but has white light @ 6700K. If you have two bulbs you might want to use either a True
Lumen "White" bulb @ 12,000K or a Zoo Med "Ocean sun" @ 10,000K for brightness
as the second bulb. Any/all these bulbs grow plants excelently.
Any two of those bulbs I mentioned from Dr F & S will be less than $30 total.
Put good bulbs in your tank and then see how the plants are doing after a couple of weeks.
An additional question: In the dry ferts are Micros covered ? If so Flourish Comprehensive is a Micro so you should not be using it with a dry Micro.
If you are using it AS the Micro, that is fine, I do also. It MIGHT not harm anything to use them both.
Is might a word you want to trust ? What did you have for light before you got the T5 ?
This is the first fish tank I have ever had. I bought the light after I built the stand.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Oh so no previous light then. Trying to see if they may have been affected by a change in the light. And also sorry if I sounded like I was getting on your case so to speak. If those bulbs are more than a year old(which if someone used them for a while before they sold them) they are probably not good for anything but light to see with.
Glad you read up some and got dry ferts before trying your first tank.
Most people don't. Too much of certain nutrients can be harmful also and the Comprehensive is the trace eliments found in dry Micros ferts so I won't use both
in case it may be too much.
Turning brown(instead of yellow) is sometimes a leaf just dieing of old age/normal
if it's just one leaf on a plant. The plants may have been exposed to air long enough to dry out parts of them also. Overall they look fairly good for the color except for the fifth and sixth pictures. The spot in the third picture is similar to how a spot looks when exposed too long to air but not sure of course. They will go through some adjustment
during the first month in a new place. I think I see the "thin" in the first picture but the pix are not very clear/close enough to see it good.
That on line Dr F & S is cheap on most bulbs but Loew's also sells a GE 6500K "daylight" bulb in T5 that cost under $10. I believe this would help quite a bit.
Old leaves that have been damaged will not get repaired but the/any new one will come in better after the plants adjust to the tank/ferts.
If you are using the fert/EI calculator, then with only a few plants you might want to use the "EI low light/weekly" where it says "and I am dosing for". You can convert the results to tsp by using the part "the results of my dose are" which lets you choose tsp
and work it in reverse. add like 1 tsp and see what the results are and add to it next try or reduce it next try to get what you want according to where the red line is
on the results it shows you. Remenber the full 3 x a week EI doses are for a full tank of plants.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 03:50 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Your CO2 is probably no where close to 30ppm. Too many other things can affect pH levels (such as the tannins coming off your driftwood and kH being "eaten" by the plants) to be able to go by those charts.

Do you have any plecos in this tank? That sword leaf looks eaten to me.

You shouldn't need anywhere near as much light as you're running to grow swords and Anubias.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Oh so no previous light then. Trying to see if they may have been affected by a change in the light.
I never had a light before because this is my first tank first light. I bought the tank built the stand filled with water then bought the light. The light came before the plants
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Your CO2 is probably no where close to 30ppm. Too many other things can affect pH levels (such as the tannins coming off your driftwood and kH being "eaten" by the plants) to be able to go by those charts.

Do you have any plecos in this tank? That sword leaf looks eaten to me.

You shouldn't need anywhere near as much light as you're running to grow swords and Anubias.
The driftwood was in the tank for 6 weeks and the oh never changed. After the cor then it dropped.

Also, I have not Plecos, bit I do have two angel fish....

As far as the light goes, I am under the impression that the actinic bulb does nothing for plant grown, but the 10k does. Now if the 10k bulb is at the end of its life could it be possible that I am not getting enough light?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
How long have the swords been in the tank?

Can you post another photo of the sword's damaged leaves? Close up so the damage is visible easily.

I agree about swapping out the actinic light for a better bulb. A nice 6500K bulb will make a big difference at least in the color rendering of the tank.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
How long have the swords been in the tank?

Can you post another photo of the sword's damaged leaves? Close up so the damage is visible easily.

I agree about swapping out the actinic light for a better bulb. A nice 6500K bulb will make a big difference at least in the color rendering of the tank.
The picture on the top looks black, but those are mostly holes and see through. The black is because the background is black
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0280[1].jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	324714  

Name:	DSC_0279[1].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	324722  

Name:	DSC_0278[1].jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	324730  

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 12:00 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
The damage on the up close sword leaf looks very much like pleco damage. I am surprised you do not have one in the tank. Perhaps the plant was exposed to a pleco before you bought it? In any event the plants don't look like they have deficiencies at the moment, so I wouldn't worry about the damage you see now as an indicator of anything.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
The damage on the up close sword leaf looks very much like pleco damage. I am surprised you do not have one in the tank. Perhaps the plant was exposed to a pleco before you bought it? In any event the plants don't look like they have deficiencies at the moment, so I wouldn't worry about the damage you see now as an indicator of anything.
Do you think the leaves will eventually go back to their colour, or should I cut them off?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode