Had Velvet: what to do about tank, help please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Had Velvet: what to do about tank, help please

My Betta Sammie had Velvet. I removed him from his tank a few weeks ago and treated him in a hospital tank. Last week, I thought he was finally recovered from it so I put him back in his main tank. He relapsed and the parasite entered his gills. I moved him back to the hospital on Monday. He died last night.

Question: what about the main tank? There are only snails and shrimp in there. I read that Velvet will eventually die without a fish host. Can I wait and get fish after awhile? Should I somehow nuke the tank and start over. Should I only raise shrimp and snails?

I miss Sammie already and hope I can eventually replace him, but Velvet is such a nasty parasite, I don't want to see another fish have to struggle with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I read that Velvet dies 24 hours after it becomes free swimming. So...maybe one would be safe if they wait a month to add a fish?

Any thoughts? Anyone?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 04:33 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I've never personally had to deal with Velvet. Here's a really good and well-researched article containing treatment options, however: http://skepticalaquarist.com/oodinium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for the article. It explains how the Velvet killed him. Nasty stuff. I did everything in the article over the course of three months. Sammie got to the point where he seemed better, but it must have still been on and in him. I made the mistake of stopping treatment and I put him in his old tank. Within days, it went back into his gills and killed him.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:09 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Sorry he didn't make it.

I'd probably wait a very long time before restocking that tank, if you don't want to break it down and sterilize it.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm thinking you are right.

There are currently two very relieved Amano shrimp and three happy nerita snails who would like to avoid ever seeing a Betta again residing there. So I may leave things the way they are for as long as I can stand it.

Strange disease. From what I read, it seems to need a fish host. It shouldn't bother my inverts. I may eventually convert it to a shrimp tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode