Manzanita wood-Birds section? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Manzanita wood-Birds section?

So I realized that Manzanita wood is a type of wood that bird keepers use as well.

They are really cheap $$$. Is it safe for these woods that you see in the birds section to be safe for aquarium use?

Do!Aqua Mini-M Shrimp Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Should be safe, as long as you realize that wood floats and needs to be either anchored somehow or immersed in water and weighted down for an extended period to sink.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
yep its one of the woods we use for our babies
I have wondered that question myself, but forget to ask it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You've just got to double-check to make sure it hasn't been treated with an antifungal/antibiotic, things like that (I think it's less common for bird wood to be treated, reptile wood often is?)

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
You've just got to double-check to make sure it hasn't been treated with an antifungal/antibiotic, things like that (I think it's less common for bird wood to be treated, reptile wood often is?)
Wood for birds is NEVER treated because birds use the wood as natural beak trimmers and napkins etc. They are always natural
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:24 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeyreef View Post
Wood for birds is NEVER treated because birds use the wood as natural beak trimmers and napkins etc. They are always natural
Good to know! I've never kept birds

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752737
Would this work if I took off the metal?

Do!Aqua Mini-M Shrimp Tank

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
http://www.manzanita.com/

They do not have an aquarium package listed on the site, but if you contact them by email, they will send you a quote. They have a Small and a Large size available. Stuff is great! Very very inexpensive compared to other wood. Even with the shipping.

Its not presoaked or treated. Its sandblasted though, so its ready to go. I let my sit in a tub of water and an airstone for about 4 weeks and it did just fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode