Suggestions for single specimen fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Suggestions for single specimen fish

I'm not entirely satisfied with the stocking of my 55, and was wondering if you might have any thoughts on what - if anything - I might add.

The main inhabitants are:
-1 large bosemaii (4-5")
-1 large male albino bristlenose (5")
-1 bullseye cat (6")

In addition to these 3 big guys, I have:
-5 Bolivian rams
-9 cories
-5 small bristles (1-2")
-2 kuhli loaches
-3 zebra danios

A couple of thoughts:
-the bristles, rams, and cories all pretty much stay at the bottom or around the sides, so for the most part the tank looks like it has 1 big bosemanii and 3 little danios. The bullseye - tho large - is pretty sedentary during daylight hours.
-I could move the danios to my other tank - the only reason I haven't is they are a pain to catch.
-As the small bristles grow, that will increase the bioload, but I could swap a couple to my other tank.
-I could add to the 2 schools of cories, but that wouldn't really add much interest to the tank as they would just stick to the bottom.
-The tank is heavily planted, high light and pressurized CO2.
-I have tried to raise bosemaniis for some time with little success. This one remaining guy is the last of maybe 12 bought over a 2 year period. I could try one more time, but would probably buy smaller fish which would take a while to grow out to the size of the one I have.
-I was thinking about adding 1 decent sized specimen fish, but didn't know what kinds to think about. Any thoughts?
-Another route would be to add a small schoal of something else, say some barbs. Or maybe a pair of platys or mollies. The bigger fish devoured a schoal of small serpae tetras pretty quickly.

I appreciate any input you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you want a school of rainbows I'd take your big guy back and get all new ones about the same size to reduce bullying. If you've tried them several times without any luck you may be better off trying another species though (perhaps something about your water parameters just isn't working for them?)

What's a "bullseye catfish"? I'm suspecting it doesn't belong in this tank- many catfish are predatory, especially at night when other fish are sleeping. If you lost a whole school of serpaes the catfish is about the only fish I see in your tank that I'd suspect- which will end up putting most of the rest of your fish in jeopardy? Do you know how big this fish will grow? Many many catfish get wayy too big for standard tanks... (FWIW I have to be very careful what fish I put in with my 6" Synod cat- he seems to love little green fish like Otos and black neon tetras )

I'd say that's too many plecos for sure for your 55gal, if you can spread them around that would be better. You definitely need to keep up with the PWC with those fish.

If you'd like a few dwarf gouramis they are beautiful and brightly colored "centerpiece" fish?

Barbs would probably be fine (I wouldn't risk rosey barbs- they have a tendency to munch on live plants). I personally love the look of a school of 8 or more tiger barbs, and IMO they'd go fine with the rest of the fish you have in there ATM? You could mix regular, greens, and/or albinos together if you like that look... they'll all school together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Yeah, I'd lose the big catfish and add a school of high-bodied tetras. You've already got nice "showcase" fish - the B-rams and the Rainbow. You could just add more danios - certainly cheap and you wouldn't have to catch the others.

Another idea would be to add a pair of Killies. They stay along the top. They are small though, so again, lose the big cat to avoid expensive live food treats.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I love Killies. As macclellan stated, they will stay at, near the top. A word of caution, as they get bigger, they are predators. They will hammer anything small enough to eat. I used to feed mine crickets and baby guppies.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
eds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
What's a "bullseye catfish"? I'm suspecting it doesn't belong in this tank- many catfish are predatory, especially at night when other fish are sleeping. If you lost a whole school of serpaes the catfish is about the only fish I see in your tank that I'd suspect- which will end up putting most of the rest of your fish in jeopardy? Do you know how big this fish will grow? Many many catfish get wayy too big for standard tanks... (FWIW I have to be very careful what fish I put in with my 6" Synod cat- he seems to love little green fish like Otos and black neon tetras )
This.

I didn't buy him. My sister's kids had a tank that they stopped taking care of, and for the last while this guy was in there all by himself. They had him in a 10g, and he was only about 3" long and skinny. She asked if I would take him so they could take down their tank. Since he has gotten into my tanks and bellied up to my buffet, he has gotten huge! And everything I've read says they get considerably bigger. I don't know anywhere to "return" him to, since I've never seen them for sale anywhere. Isn't it a kick in the pants when the fish you care the least about is the one who seems to thrive the best in your tanks?

I figured he was the one snarfing up the serpaes, but since he is mostly nocturnal, I never saw him at it. I did, however, often see the 'bow acting very aggressively towards the serpaes, so I thought he might be in on the destruction as well.

I think the cories (albinos and schwartzii) and rams are big enough that they should be pretty safe. And I never see the kuhlis anyway, so I wouldn't know whether or not he had eaten them! I don't think he could catch the danios much better than I could!

I got all of the little bristles because I had had trouble keeping a couple, and when I next saw the guy I had gotten them from, he gave me a whole bunch for like $5 - and this time they all lived.

I was wondering what kind of largish fish - 4-5" - I could add to the mix. Maybe a headstander. Or another kind of cat. Yeah, I'll probably pick up a few more $.99 zebras next time I'm at PetSmart.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
add a few SAE (am i seriously obsessed with this fish).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:05 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

You're going to have to find a new home for that cat; they get seriously huge, your tank isn't big enough for it with no other fish- I'm not sure a pond outside would be big enough? It's also going to be able to eat everything in your tank sooner or later. And he can probably catch the danios when they're sleeping cuz that's when he's on the prowl!

Personally I'd probably eat the catfish myself- I love FW catfish and that looks to be the kind that we used to catch on the famliy farm LOL

If you're set on another catfish do some research first? There are some Synodontis species that might be OK (like upside down catfish).

IMO www.FishBase.org or the site you linked (planetcatfish) are two of the most reputable sites for catfish info on the web.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
eds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Personally I'd probably eat the catfish myself- I love FW catfish and that looks to be the kind that we used to catch on the famliy farm LOL.
Over the weekend I moved the cat from my 30 to my 55. Not only was it a bear to catch, but when I had it in the net, and then in the bucket, I actually thought that it was at least as large as some fish - bullheads and gills - I had pulled out of ponds at the end of a line!

I'm gonna have to figure out how to get rid of that fella. Anyone want him?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Be careful with all catfish- the majority of species have some venom in their spines, even "harmless" little cory cats can do some serious damage if you turn out allergic to the venom?

Have you tried asking any LFSs? Maybe someone would want it for a pond?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
eds

I was in PetSmart yesterday, buying dog supplies. I decided to pick up a few zebra danios. While waiting for service, I checked out their other fish. And there in a small tank they had several cute tiny little versions of my battleship of a catfish. I forget what they called them, but they were something like $5, and said max length of 6". LOL!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Hmmm. Interesting cat, but did you read the compatibility line?

Quote:
Peaceful with other and it's own species. Not to be trusted with smaller fish though.
Could be why you're fish were disappearing and the cat was getting big
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I really hate tanks with one of everything in them.
I think the rainbow needs buddies and are schooling fish.
I love sae too. Nothing as cool as seeing a group of sae grazing algae in the tank.

under stock
over filter

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode