Tank ideas and BBA advice (pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank ideas and BBA advice (pics)

Hi,

I suffered with a really bad BBA outbreak a few months ago, i was using DIY c02 to try and carpet hairgrass, but despite alternating 2 bottles, the fluctuations and low co2 output caused a BBA outbreak. This coincided with a knee operation which meant 6 weeks of no tank maintenance, the BBA ruined my tank. I managed to combat this from reading the numerous BBA threads on this forum and articles by Tom Barr. Here is what it looked like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	324170

Here is the tank now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	324178

I now have a pressurised CO2 system,dose ferts, and cut down lighting to 7 hours a day, all of which have helped. However i still find i am cutting back a hairgrass leaves every few weeks, which are coated with BBA. Is there anything i can do to finally get rid of it?

Also, I am after any ideas about how to cover the black inbuilt filter housing in the tank (as seen in pics). I was thinking of maybe a moss tree or moss wall, but would just like any ideas of what i could use to cover this part of the tank?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Algae Grower

You probably need a little more water movement near the bottom to counter the BBA. Look into a small pump like a hydor pico
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea that's one thing i did think of, its a 20g tall tank so thought circulation might be an issue. Where would you position it?
Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

i am having similar experience in my 75g with bba. I am winning now after buying a hydor 425 nano and directing it at my dwarf sag carpet to keep it clean which has stopped all bba growth. I am even finding clumps on older bba floating around the tank which means its dying and falling off plants and driftwood.

Its mainly been growing on areas where flow has been poor in the past and stuff was allowed to sit and buildup.

I also adding 8 corys and a pleco to stire up junk from the bottom and get it filtered out. it has made a HUGE difference in my low/med tech tank. I think I can finally get rid of all bba if I keep this up.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea i have ordered a spraybar, so i can position it lower in the tank to try and reach the carpet. As it is a 20g tall and square tank, the flow from the filter isn't reaching the carpet, so i think that is the root of the problem. If the spraybar doesn't help then will get a pump to assist as well.

Happy have got rid of most of it but just want to get rid of last little bits of BBA to make sure it doesn't come back and ruin then tank again
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

With time and added circulation I feel you can eliminate the bba. Although some claim that it is impossible once in a tank to fully remove it. Balance is key.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea that's what i am learning. I think trying DIY co2 showed me importance of balance, and feel now have a proper co2 setup i am getting there. BBA is the worst though

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode