Fish Dying...Help *UPDATE* All ok so far - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
Fish Dying...Help *UPDATE* All ok so far

I have been having one sometimes two fish dead in the morning laying on the bottom. some have been lemon tetras, some blue tetras. no signs of anything. my water is fine.. nitrates of less than 10-15ppm, no ammonia, no nitrites. my ph when co2 is going is 6.4 and at night is 6.8 to 7.0. I just bought some aquari-sol and put some in the tank and raised the temp to 83 deg. F I don't know what else to do. I don't want to lose my fish! help?

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheCryptKeeper; 05-14-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
First thing that comes to mind is something CO2 related. How are you controlling CO2 levels? A timer? Are your fish near the surface in the morning or acting otherwise stressed? How frequently is this happening?
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Are you turning off your Co2 and running an airstone at night?

Are any of the fish acting in any way different that you can tell? Any torn fins, spots, red gills, scratching up against things (called "flashing")?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

nope.. they aren't hanging out at the top.. most of the time they are staying out of sight among the plants. but that is common for the blue tetras. they are out at night going crazy.. I have lunar lights so I can see them. I have my co2 on about 2 bubbles per second and my drop checker is staying green. I have 1.5ml of 4dkh solution and 2 drops of reagen solution in the checker. any other suggestions?

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
Flashing and scratching are not the same lauralee...flashing would just be flashing intense colors maybe at a mate and scratching is...well scratching

at least thats what I understand...

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'd drop an airstone in at night and see if it continues. If you're using a timer, simply set the airstone to come off after your CO2 goes off...

How often are you losing fish?
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:59 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsandwitch View Post
Flashing and scratching are not the same lauralee...flashing would just be flashing intense colors maybe at a mate and scratching is...well scratching

at least thats what I understand...
There's 2 uses for the word, since the movement they make when scratching also tends to reflect light and "flash"

Torpedo- how long since you introduced any new fish into the tank? Do you QT all new fish?

What temperature were you keeping the tank before you started treating with AquariSol?

post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, disease was on my mind too. But what about the temporal pattern thats showing up? That's why I wanted to know fish loss frequency, to see if it's a coincidence or recurring theme...
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

usually 1 to 2 fish a day.. I do have an air stone that goes at night.. it comes on after the lights go out and my lunar lights come on. I don't qt my fish prior.. but I always buy my fish from the same lfs and never had a problem before. this sucks.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

oh.. and I was keeping the tank at 76deg. prior to adding meds. read somewhere that the cooler water was better for the plants.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have the same problem too...I have been losing my Otos that I purchased last week and I lost 1 of by bloodfin tetras. The other fish (even the neons) are doing fine and my water params are normal. My guess is that buying from Petco is not ideal but there is no reputable LFS within a 100 miles of here.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

yeah.. that stinks when you have really no options of where to buy fish. I am fortunate that we have a few different lfs to buy from

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

You need to always, always, always QT new fish. Minimum 2 weeks, IMO.

Otos and tetras are examples of fish that are almost always wild-caught; which means that they could be carrying all kinds of parasites/disease and have undergone all kinds of stress between capture and your tank that stress them to the point that the parasites/diseases start getting the upper hand.

My guess is that you both introduced some disease into your tank.

I personally prefer to medicate with aquarium (or other non-iodized) salt, 1/2 tsp per gallon for 1 to 2 weeks. I like salt b/c it's typically less stressful on fish and fairly effective across a wide spectrum of health issues. I wouldn't mix this with a commercial med though?

post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

ok.. I will have to remember to do this from now on. I only have a 5 gallon tank I can use for a qt tank though. I hope this medicine works! if not.. after a week of using I see no change.. I will use the salt like you said. thank you!

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
In general it's recommended not to dose with salt in a planted tank. If you are careful you can do it, but depending on your plants, you may have some melting.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode