Help me buy a ADA Setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 PM
rick4him

Help me buy a ADA Setup

So I am about to buy a new setup - ada style.

I'm looking at either the 75-p or the 90-p

I'm wanting to do one of those tanks with the nice rocks in the middle and then lots of hair type grass.

What do you think I should go with? Tank, filter, light ? (I'm not getting the official stand - i'll buy a nice stand from petsmart or something..)

thoughts? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick4him View Post
i'll buy a nice stand from petsmart or something..)

thoughts? Suggestions?
You need to now buy a stand from petsmart. Build one yourself or have someone else do it for you, but one of my pet peeves is a beautiful tank atop a cheesy/ugly stand. It's just a turn off, and maybe specific only to me.

If it were me, I'd get the 90-P "Mist"

congrats on your exciting new project, look forward to seeing its progress...someday!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:59 PM
rick4him

Hey no problem - some of the things you can buy look pretty good.

as far as the midst goes - I'm going to put a black background on it - so the midst wouldn't really do me any good.

I wish I knew enough about "wood shop" to build my own stand!!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 PM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
I wish I knew enough about "wood shop" to build my own stand!!
Ok, I was in the same situation as you a while back. I went with the 75P, very nice tank, but you have to have a stand made for it or make your own because there are no 30"x18" stands in the business. None.

So I made my own, not an easy thing... It can be done, and is done all the time. If you search, there are tons of DIY ADA style stand threads, use them, they're helpful. The 75P is the better deal, but the extra horizontal 6" on the 90P is very nice as well, and 36"x18" stands are actually made and sold by a few manufactures.

For the filter. I'd recommend an XP3 for value, and if you're and eheim fan, an classic 2217. Tons of Bio and mech filtration, and get a couple 100mL purigen backs, they're amazing.

For the light. This is between T5HO and MH. I personally went with Metal Halide hung from my ceiling and never looked back. They create a beautiful affect and are ver asthetically pleasing. Great light output as well! This is the fixture I got, but with this bulb (amazing bulb). I'd buy this version of the fixture, as it doesn't have the retarded 13000K bulb in it that the Drsfostersmith one has in it, then put the ADA bulb in it, PERFECT COMBO. It's what I should have done first, it would have saved me $80! Instead I'm now left with a useless 13000K bulb that was actually marked as a 10000K bulb on the site!

For ferts, get some dry KNO₃ and KH₂PO₄, then buy a 500mL bottle of both Brighty K and Brighty Step 1

Substrate, I recommend AS 1, and if you have hard water, go with some AS II. Make sure to get one 3L bag of powder for a top coat to make planting easier.

PLEASE get some Seiryu stone from www.adana-usa.com, they are such beautiful stone.

Good luck, and I hope this helped. Check my sig for my journal to see how it all turned out for me! BTW, I'm re-starting soon with better materials.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Amano's most recent Iwagumi article in TFH says that Seiryu stone increases TDS... FWIW...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Amano's most recent Iwagumi article in TFH says that Seiryu stone increases TDS... FWIW...
It definitely has in my tanks. Good heads up, lauralee.

Good luck with the new setup. It sounds like CM has given you solid advice. Can't wait to see this one take shape!

Mike

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
There was a thread a while back that linked to a site where Jason Baliban did a DIY ADA like stand. It turned out fantastic. If I ever do an ADA setup, I am going to use Jason's how to and build my own stand. If you lived a little closer (like in GA) I'd build you one rick4him.

Here is a link to the thread if your interested:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ada-stand.html

Edit: IMO, I wouldn't go with a cheap or possibly cheasy stand with an ADA tank. It just doesn't do the tank itself justice like Coleman suggested. It seems like somewhat of a waste of money to spend that amount of cash on a top of the line tank and then throw it on a petsmart stand.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 AM
rick4him

Is this the correct link
http://www.projectaquarium.com/articleDetails.aspx?id=6

should I follow those instructions?

Also what sort of lights should I get? I would like to do something like the set up on that link- do I need the Grand Solar 1? - Is there another route to go? Can I get them cheaper then 799 ?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
dont buy an ADA light. Its a rip of man

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:58 AM
rick4him

what light do you suggest to get that effect where you "hang" it above the tank on those poles, and still get a really nice color?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:43 AM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
Ok, I was in the same situation as you a while back. I went with the 75P, very nice tank, but you have to have a stand made for it or make your own because there are no 30"x18" stands in the business. None.

So I made my own, not an easy thing... It can be done, and is done all the time. If you search, there are tons of DIY ADA style stand threads, use them, they're helpful. The 75P is the better deal, but the extra horizontal 6" on the 90P is very nice as well, and 36"x18" stands are actually made and sold by a few manufactures.

For the filter. I'd recommend an XP3 for value, and if you're and eheim fan, an classic 2217. Tons of Bio and mech filtration, and get a couple 100mL purigen backs, they're amazing.

For the light. This is between T5HO and MH. I personally went with Metal Halide hung from my ceiling and never looked back. They create a beautiful affect and are ver asthetically pleasing. Great light output as well! This is the fixture I got, but with this bulb (amazing bulb). I'd buy this version of the fixture, as it doesn't have the retarded 13000K bulb in it that the Drsfostersmith one has in it, then put the ADA bulb in it, PERFECT COMBO. It's what I should have done first, it would have saved me $80! Instead I'm now left with a useless 13000K bulb that was actually marked as a 10000K bulb on the site!

For ferts, get some dry KNO₃ and KH₂PO₄, then buy a 500mL bottle of both Brighty K and Brighty Step 1

Substrate, I recommend AS 1, and if you have hard water, go with some AS II. Make sure to get one 3L bag of powder for a top coat to make planting easier.

PLEASE get some Seiryu stone from www.adana-usa.com, they are such beautiful stone.

Good luck, and I hope this helped. Check my sig for my journal to see how it all turned out for me! BTW, I'm re-starting soon with better materials.

Dude I spent like 30 minutes writing this up for you and you're asking questions that are clearly answered in there... come on... Everything you need for the perfect lighting system is right in there, WITH LINKS!! Make sure you read the advice people giving you before asking questions, it's pretty darn frustrating. People aren't going to give you advice if you completely ignore what they write...

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:47 AM
rick4him

I read your write up - thanks! Those lights aren't what I am looking for - I am looking for lights like in the picture - not hanging from my ceiling...
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:51 AM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Quote:
I read your write up - thanks! Those lights aren't what I am looking for - I am looking for lights like in the picture - not hanging from my ceiling...
you can hang those from a metal armstand... exactly the same as an ADA solar... and what picture are you talking about?

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:53 AM
rick4him

Oh really?? I'm sorry...I didn't know that...

Do you think the quality is as good? For the P90 how many would I need to buy?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 AM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Quote:
Oh really?? I'm sorry...I didn't know that...

Do you think the quality is as good? For the P90 how many would I need to buy?
The quality is as good, if not better. It's one of the best pendants on the market, without the ADA logo on it.

For the 90P, all you need is one, hung at 12"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode