Help with planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to tison 30
Help with planted tank

Ok well i have a 10g and a 35g laying around and i want to do a planted tank

I was thinking about using the 10 gallon first and seeing what i think about it. I no that you can plant plants in gravel and there ok but can you use like top soil that you would plant like tomato plants and stuff. I no theres aquasoil stuff but thats $$ and i prob cant find it around where i live but ill prob just go gravel.

I was thinking gravel before i do anything

then lights i have light caseings in my basement with no lights so that wont be hard to find some good lights to go in there

Im not sure if you would use a filter or not but i was thinking maybe diy co2 or atleast an airstone it keep the water going.

Sorry i know everything i said is dumb but i just threw it out there just to see what you guys think!

Thanks, Tison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
- Don't use soil, you will get a mess and a ton of algae.
- Lights for a 10g, whatever you can put up there will be fine. Try to get flourescents if possible. You can even grow nice plants in a small tank with a lot of daylight exposure through a window.
- Filtration - depends what fish you want to put in. 1 betta or something similar, none needed. More than that, you'll need some filtration, even a corner box bubble-filter.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Actually, you can use soil if you'd like. There's a good thread around here somewhere where Tom Barr describes the process. OK, I found it
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...l-planted.html
You could also use gravel, but try to find something that has smaller grains, as plants tend to take root better to smaller substrates.

Lighting will depend on what you wish to accomplish. You first need to decide if you want a high tech (high light, co2, ferts, faster plant growth but less room for error) or low tech (lower light, little or no co2/ferts, slower growth with more room for error) setup. There are lots of options here once you make this decision.

Filtration will depend on bioload, as Lambasted mentioned. It is also crucial to have good flow in a planted tank, so this needs to be considered when picking filtration as well. Once we have more info about your desired type of setup and fish/plant stocking lists, we can provide more specific feedback.

Here's a great site to check out if you haven't already seen it.
rexgrigg.com

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is a better article.
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/maga...ubstrates.html

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Nice article Sean, I am going to use that recipe for a future tank.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You can go soil, but it's kinda prone to make a mess if you're not careful. You can use pea gravel (I personally would recommend that over soil if this is your first planted tank?).

Or for $20 (1 bag for a 10gal tank) I'd personally recommend one of the new Flourites (I'm biased- it's my fav LOL), but I do think it would make your life a little easier in the long run since it has a nutrient content and the plants will have some backup till you get ferts down?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok well found a lid and and light but got a new light today n got a 15watt light with 5500k Its a 18" Zoo Med Tropic Sun. I dont know much about wpg so does anyone how good that is for med light plants/high light plants?

Im also thinking about a diy co2 a simple one but all the sites i found are for like 125g and on here there all weird i just want something simple like as easy as it gets and they all say diff stuff to add so if anyone has a diy co2 for a 10g can you help me out?

The substrate is just gravel out of my 75G just black rocks. If i add an air stone (co2 or not) i wont need a filter to keep my water moving right? but if i get shrimp im going to have to get a sponge filter i believe unless i put screen over my wisper filter the kind that sits in the water. What do you guys think, am i doing this all wrong?

sorry it was a pic from my web cam because i cant find my cam but atleast you know what it kinda looks like and sorry i didnt wipe the tank down yet and didnt add water really
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 02:18 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tison 30 View Post
Ok well found a lid and and light but got a new light today n got a 15watt light with 5500k Its a 18" Zoo Med Tropic Sun. I dont know much about wpg so does anyone how good that is for med light plants/high light plants?

Since you have 15 watts over a 10 gallon tank, you have 1.5 watts per gallon (wpg). This puts you at low light (especially since the wpg guideline isn't really applicable in tanks smaller than 10g). Medium light/high light plants will likely not do well in a tank with such low lighting.

Quote:
Im also thinking about a diy co2 a simple one but all the sites i found are for like 125g and on here there all weird i just want something simple like as easy as it gets and they all say diff stuff to add so if anyone has a diy co2 for a 10g can you help me out?
I am unsure where you are reading that DIY CO2 is suitable for tanks as large as 125g. DIY CO2 is usually suitable for tanks up to ~30 gallons only.

Here is an excellent resource for DIY CO2:

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Quote:
The substrate is just gravel out of my 75G just black rocks. If i add an air stone (co2 or not) i wont need a filter to keep my water moving right? but if i get shrimp im going to have to get a sponge filter i believe unless i put screen over my wisper filter the kind that sits in the water. What do you guys think, am i doing this all wrong?
Personally, I don't like the look of mixed gravels, but that is up to you. Also, if you plan to use DIY CO2, an airstone would not be recommended, as you'd be outgassing your CO2 faster than you could inject it. If you are intent on breeding shrimp, then a sponge filter is probably the best; otherwise the baby shrimplets might get sucked into your HOB filter.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I dont like the looks of my rocks also but i took then out of my tanks so i just put them like that just to mess around ill end up mixing black and blue
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy View Post
I almost posted this same link...I've been posting it like crazy ever since I found it....
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:24 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

If the goal of this tank is to breed shrimp, then I personally would skip CO2 all together for the time being, especially with only 1.5wpg. Shrimp love mosses, so you could stuff this tank with mosses, ferns, driftwood, and some of the other lowlight plants found in the stickey at the top of the Low Tech forum and be good to go?

You will still need a filter on the tank, however- just an airstone will not be a good way to go; you need some mechanical and biological filtration. If you have a whisper filter IMO that should be fine with a sponge over the intake to keep the shrimplets out. You can make one by cutting a $2 AquaClear sponge to fit.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
If the goal of this tank is to breed shrimp, then I personally would skip CO2 all together for the time being, especially with only 1.5wpg. Shrimp love mosses, so you could stuff this tank with mosses, ferns, driftwood, and some of the other lowlight plants found in the stickey at the top of the Low Tech forum and be good to go?

You will still need a filter on the tank, however- just an airstone will not be a good way to go; you need some mechanical and biological filtration. If you have a whisper filter IMO that should be fine with a sponge over the intake to keep the shrimplets out. You can make one by cutting a $2 AquaClear sponge to fit.
Well i kinda just wanted a few plants to see how that would go then just keep getting more but then i was like hmm maybe throw in some RCS so idk at first it was plants but i say 50/50 now?
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:47 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

You should be able to do both, but really don't need CO2 at only 1.5 wpg of lighting. Up to you though, since the CO2 won't hurt, as long as it's done right?

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well i looked at walmart just got back a bit ago and they dont have the soil you put in your tank and i asked the guy about top soil and he he went over and looked and said hmm it must be outside so i didnt get anything..i think im sticking to gravel.

Is 1.5 even close to med lighting?
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:

Is 1.5 even close to med lighting?
As I've already mentioned, the WPG guideline is exactly that; in tanks that are small (=< 10g), it can't be applied without some modifications. 1.5g would be considered low light for a 10g (i.e. case in point: if you had 7.5 watts over a 2.5g = 3 wpg, it would not be considered "high light")

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode