DIY co2 into glass diffuser weird gel stuff on top of diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY co2 into glass diffuser weird gel stuff on top of diffuser

whats with the weird gel like stuff on top of the diffuser glass spiral with cermic disc that cuts the bubbles into a mist on top of that there is a weird gel like stuff that seems to have come back after I swirled it off of there with a pen and it kinda just broke into different pieces looks gross...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:50 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You may want to punctuate your posts in the future, it was a bit difficult to read your post and figure out where a sentence began/ended.

Anyway, are you using DIY CO2 with the ceramic disc diffuser? If so, it might be just the build up of yeast goo that is all too typically seen with DIY CO2 setups. You can put a gas separator between the DIY CO2 bottle and the diffuser to slow down the accumulation of the gunk. However, every so often, you will need to take out the diffuser (carefully) and place it into a dilute bleach solution to get rid of the gunk. I do not recommend rubbing the ceramic disc, as this may damage the microscope pores, making them larger, and as a consequence, making the diffusion less efficient.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Yeah, this is a fungus/goo associated with DIY CO2. Put a gas separtor in line before it goes to your tank. Bascially it's a bottle that your run your co2 into, and then have another line running out(so two tubes in the top of the bottle, I recommend a gatorade bottle). I useded a mild bleach solution in mine(half a cap of bleach, and then filled the bottle up half way). The co2 coming in has to bubble through the solution, thus wiping out any nasty that would have gone into your tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode