Looking for ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for ideas

Hi All,
About a year ago I moved from SC to MD and am only now about to start a tank. I had a 55 and a 40 gallon setup for about 2 years and really enjoyed it. I am planning a big tank. Thinking about a 150 Tall. The problem is I am not sure what I want to put in it. I was thinking Discus until I read about daily water changes and that the discus people discourage anything but bare bottom. I am a fan of biotopes but I have done the amazon biotope a couple times and want something new.

I am looking for unique ideas think things like species tanks, odd biotopes, uncommon fish. I only get the one tank in the new house so it has to be special.

I was wondering how many CPD would be happy in a 150 but I haven't found much on if they like to be in schools larger than a handful.

Eheim Pimp #429
38 Gal planted tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
I know quite a few people that keep discus fish in heavily planted tanks. They are a bit more sensitive than some of the other species that you can get out there but not as hard to keep as some people make them out to be. I wanted to get discus a couple years back and did a lot of research on them and got discouraged after reading stuff about how you have to do water changes daily or several times a day and you can not have anything in the aquarium except fish and water. Then I did some more research and found out that discus can be pretty hardy fish!! They are able to adapt and will slowly adapt to your tank parameters. What made me deiced to try my hand with these fish is the fact that I got obsessed with the discus fish shows, and then I saw a behind the scenes video and got to see how some of the fish are kept in small plastic bags for hours and then put in a half sized betta bowl for several more hours and survive, so they are a bit more hardy than people make them out to be. The main thing with discuss is you cannot be lazy, you will need to preform regular maintenance and care must be taken when adding anything new to the aquarium, they require a little bit more care and attention than other fish but that makes them seem like more of a pet to me.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Save water and electricity - do a native species temperate tank! Here are some pretty good lookers:

Orange-throat darter

Pygmy sunfish

Rainbow shiner

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:48 AM
Algae Grower

Don't be turned away from Discus because what people say. Yes discus are a more sensitive fish but they are not impossible to keep even in the slightest. They are beautiful and worth the effort, daily water changes are not necessary.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 03:24 AM
Planted Member

Check with Discus Paul on here; he's the best resource we have.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 04:04 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I love big schools of tiny fish in big tanks, too. But I don't think CPDs would be a good choice, they tend to be pretty shy and reclusive- I don't know that you'd ever see them in a 150?

I keep toying with the idea of a huge school of Boraras brigittae in my 90gal, though LOL

If I had a tank this big and were thinking discus, I'd set it up in an area of the house where I could plumb it for auto water changes.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I like the idea of native fish but in a tank that size I'd go with the darters and a larger sunfish. Some driftwood and vals and you're good to go.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd do large school of silver dollars or angels and work around those. Of course with SD's, plant choices are limited. I use silk plants with mine.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
6 or 8 plain ol' silver angel fish ... or better yet , altums
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of your replies. I really like Angels but I want to do something new. I like the idea of a native fish tank. After all, as a kid I first got hooked on fish keeping when I found a 1 inch long large mouth bass in the mud by my house. He was over a foot when we released him. We did the same thing with a catfish a year or two later. My only concern is the legality. Especially if I wanted any of the beautiful fish you showed. Being as I don't live in any of their distributions I would likely need someone to send them to me.

Do you have any recommended resources on learning more?

Eheim Pimp #429
38 Gal planted tank

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 03:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
North American Native Fishes Association
http://www.nanfa.org/
There are also a few sites online that sell native fishes.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 03:51 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Every state has its own collection laws, but here in FL you only need a FW fishing license.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode