Fry! ...Totally unexpected! Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fry! ...Totally unexpected! Help!

So I received some Java Moss from another member the other day..at lights on today...low and behold...FRY! The tank is barely 3 days old and I really want them to make it...what can I do to attempt to allow them to survive? I have hikari first bites and I sprinkled a very small pinch in twice today...Should I go grab a packet of bio-spira...? I doubt fry create all that much bio load...but I could be wrong...Oh...and I put some sponge on the filter intake as well...i hope none got sucked in before I did that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Fry eat lots of food. If you can make it 5 days you should be in the clear. Any idea what they might be? I feed German Ram fry 3-4 times a day.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd culture some green water to raise microorganisms for the fry till they're a little bigger.

Very easy to do- just lightly blanch a green veggie and then pour it and the water into a glass jar (any small clear glass container will do) and set it in sunlight. Within a few days it should be teeming with life, and you just set the jar under a lamp for 5-10 min, then skim the surface with a fine net (I used brine shrimp nets), then swoosh the net into the fry tank.

A major advantage to feeding live food like this is that it won't pollute the water as quickly as prepared/dead foods.

Do small daily partial water changes (PWC)- I'd say about 10%, and make doubly-sure that the water parameters match, especially temperature.

I'd use a small sponge filter if you have one. Or just an airstone; as long as you keep up the daily PWC the fry should be OK.

GL and keep us posted!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
So you have no idea what type of fish there are?

It's too late to culture micro-organisms. It'll take 1-2 weeks to culture. By that time, the fry are big enough to eat micro-worms or bbs (baby brine shrimps)... Don't feed at first... They're not eating yet... They're still feeding on their yolk. In a few days, feed them bbs or the commercial fry food.

besides that follow what lauralee said.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

I PMed the member who I got the moss from to try to find out...Theres no way to tell on my own at this point...Im assuming they're only a couple days or so old? ...here's a picture...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Ahh man how lucky you are! Hope to know what there are soon
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:31 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
the suspense is killing me
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
it doesnt look that small, it shouldd be a few weeks, maybe a month, unless its a livebearer fry. fry from egg laying fish are usually so small at three days or so, you dont see them at all until they move (which isnt often). at that size you could probably feed crushed flake food. frozen daphnia may work as would hikari first bites and atisons betta starter. and i reccomend you dump a bunch of biostarters, or put in a bunch of stems (to absorb ammonia, since with three fry it shouldnt be too high).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Well I got an ID! They are either Regular or Fancy Guppies. Do you all think they look large enough for the commercial fry foods?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes, they are large enough for commercial fry food. These babies were born larger, much larger than the fry of eggbearer fish.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
hah, guppies can eat normal food from birth, and they will eat algae and little microfauna (common on moss) too. mine breed in my 20L community and i never fed them special stuff, what they grab or scavange is enough for them to grow up. however they can grow up in half the time, if i keep them seperate and feed special food (ive done it before).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
What a happy surprise! I feed my endler fry Hakari First Bites and they love the food. It is the leftover food that fouls the water if you overfeed new fry not the bioload/waste. With First Bites I don't worry much because I feed small amounts severl times a day with an automatic feeder so the water quality is good. You can ge the food at most local pet stores. I hope the best for you and your new fry

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Yup with guppy fry I'd definitely try out Hikari first bites or crushed flakes.

Adding some snails (if you don't already have some) will go a long way towards helping maintain good water quality, as well.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Luckily (at least in this case) The moss was also home to 3 ramshorn snails.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
Wow, it's the moss that keeps on giving

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode