How do I make re-planting less stressful for my fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Cool How do I make re-planting less stressful for my fish?

With the addition of all of my wonderful new plants from the swap and shop (thanks everyone!!) I've been having aquascaping brainfarts while trying to "design" an ok looking aquascape. (I say "design" loosely since I'm really bad...)

Anyway, I did a big replanting a few days ago and I really hate the layout that I did... I'm thinking of redoing the aquascape in a few days when more plants arrive.

How can I make my rearranging less stressful on my fish? I move things very carefully without disturbing the substrate too much and always do a waterchange after I'm done but it seems that they always get a little stressed for a few days after I change things.

Is there anything I can do to make them happier? (Other than having some design skills and getting it right the first time...) I know changing the territories is getting annoying to my poor Rams.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

45 Gallon Long:
Blue Rams, Rummy Nose, Cardinals, Cory Cats

XP3,
Pressurized CO2 w/ inline reactor
2x54w Tek T5 HO,
EI Ferts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:49 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
IME fish are tougher than we sometimes give them credit for. As long as nothing is throwing off the actual water parameters IMO they should be OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Your doing a great job with your planting method's. What kind of stress do you notice when you do your planting?
From the looks of that Ram with eggs, your doing just fine.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would say just that you're not stressing them that much at all... give them some credit... they were shipped to the pet store in a bag full of low dose tranquilizer... then lived in the pet store.. and are now at your house. That's a lot more stress than kicking up some substrate and a water change

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
let any dust and ditritus settle after you plant each plant (especially with flourite). too much sediment in the water column can harm the fish. other then that, the fish will be fine. the tank will look different but its the same water perameters so its kinda like the fish just swam to a different part of the lake/river. its not stressfull (my tweezers go in the tanks so much the fish ignore it, my boesemani ranbows actually spawned while i was rearranging some of my stem plants).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:37 PM
TLH

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
(my tweezers go in the tanks so much the fish ignore it, my boesemani ranbows actually spawned while i was rearranging some of my stem plants).
That is the key I think, little and often to get your fish used to the activity. Depends on the fish also some are naturally shy and will hide while you do the work. Livebearers may actually come right up and peck at your hand while you do it.

Just avoid loud knocking noises or sharp movements and they should be fine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLH View Post
That is the key I think, little and often to get your fish used to the activity. Depends on the fish also some are naturally shy and will hide while you do the work. Livebearers may actually come right up and peck at your hand while you do it.

Just avoid loud knocking noises or sharp movements and they should be fine.
yep my gold clouds and guppies pick dead skin off my hands (i have no doubt they'd pick off live skin too, it wasnt too tough for their tiny jaws).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Thanks everyone!

I guess I'm just putting my feelings on the fish. They don't look stressed at all...I guess I just worry too much

My Rams and Cories always come up begging for food every time my hand goes in the tank...the Tetras hide.

45 Gallon Long:
Blue Rams, Rummy Nose, Cardinals, Cory Cats

XP3,
Pressurized CO2 w/ inline reactor
2x54w Tek T5 HO,
EI Ferts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode