Tetra glass tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tetra glass tanks

So I know obviously this is the brand now that Petco usually carries. And there's a lot of steam about how their tanks are not properly put together.

I was at a local retail store here the other day called Meijers, and a saw an empty 29 gallon Tetra tank. It was actually really well put together, and had a totally different sticker than the usual tanks you see at Petco. Was much cheaper, too. only 45 bucks. Petco is 60

Just curious, is it possible that Tetra has a special line they sell just to Petco/Petsmart, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have had many tanks from both Petco/Petsmart and never had a problem within the first 3 years. If you wait until they have their $1.00 a gallon sale, you will get a good tank hopefully.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
So I know obviously this is the brand now that Petco usually carries. And there's a lot of steam about how their tanks are not properly put together.

I was at a local retail store here the other day called Meijers, and a saw an empty 29 gallon Tetra tank. It was actually really well put together, and had a totally different sticker than the usual tanks you see at Petco. Was much cheaper, too. only 45 bucks. Petco is 60

Just curious, is it possible that Tetra has a special line they sell just to Petco/Petsmart, etc?
There may be something to this, but I certainly won't claim to have the answer. I bought a couple of 29G's the last time the sale came around. The bowing in these tanks is serious. I have lots of scrap glass and if I can, I'll make my own glass tops. Silly me measured at the ends. The darn thing bowed by almost 1/4" at the middle. That's an awful lot for a 29G.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 03:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I went to get a 10 gallon tetra from the sale and just ended up getting an Aqueon 10 gal kit.... was way better built, a little bit of bowing, but my 40 gallon long is well over 25 years old and built by AGA (Now Aqueon) and I trust their tanks over Tetras any day.... I will say that Meijer's tanks do look way better. Silicone is way better IMO.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got a 55g tetra tank during the $1/g and I'm hoping I didn't screw myself into a huge headache..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got my 55g at the Petco $1/gallon sale. So far no problems, no complaints. I hardly notice the tank. I notice what's inside the tank.

55g: Finnex Planted+ and MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Lemon, Glowlight, and Black Neon Tetras; Harlequin Rasboras; Otos. Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria, Water Sprite.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It would not be unusual for tanks to be sold with slightly different model numbers or such when sold to different retail outlets. It's very common in some of the things I buy. Lowe's, Home Depot, and appliance stores are examples. When you see an ad that says one store will beat the price and maybe give a bit extra, you may find that the exact same article is not sold at the other stores. The model number is one letter different in some cases.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessAquarist View Post
I got a 55g tetra tank during the $1/g and I'm hoping I didn't screw myself into a huge headache..

The 29G's I bought are situated with the end panels as the viewing panels in the fish room. So every time I look at these tanks, I see the bowing immediately. If I had the right arrangement in the fish room, I'd feel a LOT better about the 55G. That cross-brace in the molded top trim compensates for many things; among them the bowing coming from using thinner glass in a tall tank.

Angelo

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

I buy 10G tanks for my local fish club raffles and I have found that the Tetra brand ones are very fragile. Out of the ten I bought, four had small spider web cracks in the lower corners when I got home. I returned them, got free replacements and when I got them home, two of them had similar cracks in the same area.

I was very careful with the last group of tanks but still experienced problems. No more Tetra brand tanks for me!

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My dream is to one day have a big custom made tank with 1/2 inch glass that is just sturdy as a rock

Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I purchased 2 20G long Tetra tanks and a 29g Aqueon within the last 4 months. The Aqueon is better made in every way.

I de-rimmed one of the 20g Tetras and had to scrap it. Under the rim were at least 10 glass fractures that were masked by the rim. Needless to say I left the rim on the second tank. The silicone job is also sloppy on the Tetra tanks and they bow quite a bit for such a short tank. I'm not complaining though as I am still happy with the Tetra as it holds water and was only 20 dollars along with a water treatment package per tank.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There's a relatively "small" franchised chain out there called "Pet Supplies Plus". Since it's a franchise, there's plenty of deviation from store to store. But I was just in the one near home on Friday night to buy dog food and they had Aqueon tanks at really reasonable prices. The two I took note of were $12 for a 10G and $23 for a 15G. Petco never has a 15G on sale and it's a size that fits really efficiently on a re-done rack in the fish room. Gonna pick up 3 during the week. For the few sizes they had out there, I'd say most were $1.20 a gallon.

Angelo

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I bought a 20l and a 40b from the dollar a gallon sale, there was quite a few of each tank at the stores, we inspected all closely, some of the 40b's panels were way way out of line as far as being square and we bought the best one they had and it is fine other than the huge trim it has, the 20l was much easier to find one that was put together well, just closely inspect before buying
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
eek! I just checked on my 29 that I got from the last $1 per gallon sale. it definitely has some bowing present. The ends are 12.5 inches wide....the middle 12.63

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
eek! I just checked on my 29 that I got from the last $1 per gallon sale. it definitely has some bowing present. The ends are 12.5 inches wide....the middle 12.63
My Aqueon actually does bow some, but the rest of the tank is built so solidly I don't bother worrying. Mine's probably around the same as yours, but the silicone is solid and very neatly done on it. At the dollar per gallon sale it was 10 dollars for one of the beat up Tetra 10 gallons, and 39.99 for an Aqueon that came with the water conditioner, food, a hood to shove 2 CFLs in, and their filters are actually pretty good filters too. I figured for the extra 30 bucks it was worth it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode