What size filter for my tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
TLH

PTrader: (0/0%)
What size filter for my tank?

I plan on buying a 48" x 15" x 21" tank sometime in the future, that's 250L or 55 uk gallons. I am currently buying equipment when I can find it for said tank and have a chance at an Eheim 2028 filter. Is this too much filter or not as I was thinking a 2026 would be more than enough? Is there such a thing as too much filtration on a tank? All the info I found says the 2026 is rated upto 350L/77g and the 2028 is good for a 600L/132g.

Opinions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
More is better especially if you can get it for a killer price.

Craig
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
TLH

I will try to avoid surface water movement with it but would too much water movement drive off co² much?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
The more densely planted a tank, the more flow required to prevent dead-spots (ie areas of low water movement in the tank). Although the "tank rating" listed on the side of filter boxes can be useful as a general guide, in this case it is better to aim for a turnover rate of ~5 times/hour +, meaning that the entire volume of your tank is turned over (run through the filter) at least 5 times per hour. There's a thread around here somewhere that discusses actual flow rates of eheim canisters in various "life stages" (i.e. new without media, new with media, established, etc),

Here's a resource that will allow you to compare some some basic properties of canister filters...Perhaps it will help you make your decision.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Article.aspx?id=98
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
TLH

I don't suppose you could point me towards that thread you mentioned, or know who started it? I've looked through 10 pages of search results with no luck already. Found alot of other reading to do in the meantime though.

I plan on a med to high light semi densely planted tank with pressurised CO². There will be open patches of gravel in places though as I find it hard to impossible to find low growing cover plants at the LFS's around here.

Are the Fluval 4 and 5 series about the same flow do you think? I already own a 104 and it's ok so I'd consider a 405 if it came down to it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLH View Post
I don't suppose you could point me towards that thread you mentioned, or know who started it? I've looked through 10 pages of search results with no luck already. Found alot of other reading to do in the meantime though. .
I think this is what you are looking for.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...rformance.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

yep, that's the one...helluva thread...nice work.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
TLH

Ah yes, I did find and read that earlier. It is referring to the Classics though and not the Pro's or Pro II's so not really all that relevant for my needs but the info about reduced flow with spray bars etc is useful. I am not sure how I will set it up yet but some of the flow will have to be diverted through my CO² diffuser. I've been looking at wide jet nozzles and thinking maybe 2-3 of those on tee pieces with ball joints so I can direct them where I want the flow to go would be good. I will see how the normal spray bar is first though I think.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:51 AM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
yep, that's the one...helluva thread...nice work.
Thanks Coleman!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Ah yes, I did find and read that earlier. It is referring to the Classics though and not the Pro's or Pro II's so not really all that relevant for my needs but the info about reduced flow with spray bars etc is useful. I am not sure how I will set it up yet but some of the flow will have to be diverted through my CO² diffuser. I've been looking at wide jet nozzles and thinking maybe 2-3 of those on tee pieces with ball joints so I can direct them where I want the flow to go would be good. I will see how the normal spray bar is first though I think.
did you decide which filter you were going to get?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:15 AM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Wink

Quote:
CO² diffuser
its a subscript not a hyperscript on that 2. lol, sry I'm a chemist and that was driving me insane

Edit: oh and I'm just gonna get this out there right now, as it has bothered me since I joined the forums (long time), the O in CO2 IS NOT LOWERCASE!! lol each serperate element in a compound starts with an uppercase, and ends in a lowercase if it has a second initial, example Ca (calcium) So to properly write CO2, which I do not know how to do in a forum (subscript? how to?) is capital C, capital O, subscript 2. PHEW< END RANT lol

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
TLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
did you decide which filter you were going to get?
I will let you know. I was looking before at 2327 or 2329 heated wet/dry jobbies, anyone have anything to say about those and whether they are better or not than normal filters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
its a subscript not a hyperscript on that 2. lol, sry I'm a chemist and that was driving me insane

Edit: oh and I'm just gonna get this out there right now, as it has bothered me since I joined the forums (long time), the O in CO2 IS NOT LOWERCASE!! lol each serperate element in a compound starts with an uppercase, and ends in a lowercase if it has a second initial, example Ca (calcium) So to properly write CO2, which I do not know how to do in a forum (subscript? how to?) is capital C, capital O, subscript 2. PHEW< END RANT lol
roflmao. Ok fella, rant noted. You are right, it should be CO₂. The way I wrote it before has only 1 Oxygen atom. I don't know how to do the lower 2 in ascii is all, I had to go find that and copy'n'paste it. The higher ² is hold down alt and 0178 on the number pad.

Edit; just for you CmLaracy here is the complete set so you can save them and copy'n'paste to your hearts content. lol.

( ⁰ ¹ ² ³ ⁴ ⁵ ⁶ ⁷ ⁸ ⁹ ⁺ ⁻ ⁼ ⁽ ⁾ ₀ ₁ ₂ ₃ ₄ ₅ ₆ ₇ ₈ ₉ ₊ ₋ ₌ ₍ ₎ )
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:23 PM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
I will let you know. I was looking before at 2327 or 2329 heated wet/dry jobbies, anyone have anything to say about those and whether they are better or not than normal filters?

roflmao. Ok fella, rant noted. You are right, it should be CO₂. The way I wrote it before has only 1 Oxygen atom. I don't know how to do the lower 2 in ascii is all, I had to go find that and copy'n'paste it. The higher ² is hold down alt and 0178 on the number pad.

Edit; just for you CmLaracy here is the complete set so you can save them and copy'n'paste to your hearts content. lol.

( ⁰ ¹ ² ³ ⁴ ⁵ ⁶ ⁷ ⁸ ⁹ ⁺ ⁻ ⁼ ⁽ ⁾ ₀ ₁ ₂ ₃ ₄ ₅ ₆ ₇ ₈ ₉ ₊ ₋ ₌ ₍ ₎ )
HAHAHA thanks bro, you just happened to be the one person who did it when I decided to finally say something. You're like the 1000th person! lol You're new here, and I just want to let you know that you're more than welcome here, and everyone here is extremely nice. you'll learn more than you ever thought you could in these forums, and you'll enjoy every moment of it, except when you're searching for algae cures. lol. Thanks for thos enumbers, I will use them FREQUENTLY! peace out

Edit: CO₂, awesome!!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
TLH

You're very welcome, and thanks for hitting my rep button.

I may be new here but I've been in the hobby for 4-5 years and learned alot from reading books and the interweb. I am a member at myfishtank.net also but they don't get the responses that I've seen here already, many more people here so this may become my regular haunt for all things fishy. I came over from a link MOsborne05 posted in one of his posts there. Thanks for the welcome though, much appreciated.

I had a bid on a 2128 on ebay earlier. Brand new returned item with a busted adapter lever. Missed it by one bid again, that always seems to happen to me. Good job I'm in no particular rush for this, I need to clear out and sell some stuff first and decorate the room this tank is going in first.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Although Eheim makes great filters, their Wet/Dry filters aren't really well suited for a planted tank. You're better off with either the Eheim 2126 or 2128. Both have built in heaters. I would go with an Eheim 2128. I ran an Eheim Pro II 2128 on my 55 (US) gallon tank. Although it was not planted, it didn't seem like too much circulation.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode