Gassed my fish ;( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gassed my fish ;(

I feel sick. I got home today to find a bright yellow drop checker and most of my fish floating upside down. I broke my glass diffuser this weekend cleaning it so I replaced it with another one. It seamed as it was more restrictive because I had to open up the needle valve to get the bubble count back up. The drop checker was mostly blue/blue green last night. The strange thing is that today when I got home the regulators working pressure was at 50 psi when it's been 40 psi for a month now. Assuming my two year old didn't touch it, how would that be possible? I'm aerating and doing a water change now, hopefully the fish will recover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 04:24 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It happens to the best of us.
They should recover. I'd turn the co2 way down and gradually up it to where you want everyday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 04:26 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
I'm pretty certain dead fish won't recover. Did they die?

But Calbears, you made a mistake in assuming that because the diffuser was more restrictive, that you needed to open up the NV. If you had simply waited long enough, the bubble count should have gone back to normal due to the working pressure of the regulator.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Algae Grower

One tip I've learned is only make co2 adjustments on weekends or any day I'm home the majority of the day.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamato View Post
One tip I've learned is only make co2 adjustments on weekends or any day I'm home the majority of the day.
This. And Ive only ever seen my working pressure drop, never increase w/o turning it. If I have to add new equip, i do it when im off work and can at least watch a few hrs.

Condolences tho, hopefully you got to save a few of your friends.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I did lose one Oto, but it could've been worse. Yes the adjustments will only be made when I have time to be on guard from now on.

The working pressure rose about 10 psi after 6 hours of run time today. It just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-23-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 04:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Maybe your one of the valves in your regulator is slipping. What brand and model are you using? You may be able to get a replacement part for cheap.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Banned

It's a single stage regulator, isn't it? Did it get hotter as the day went on?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is your CO2 tank pressure low? I've read of a problem where the last 500 psi or so will blow off quickly.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dual stage hpt 500 I wanna say with a Parker hannefin needle valve. Bettatail put it together. New 20 lb. tank, 800+ psi.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did notice the tank valve wasn't opened all the way, so i did. Maybe that was the cause of my problems. I guess time will tell.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm at a loss. After 3 days of consistent 42 psi and 2 bubbles per second, it was about 3 bps @ 42 psi when I got home at 5 this afternoon. By 7:30, the working pressure was up to 48 psi and the bubbles were nearly non stop. Has anyone else experienced this before?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 06:21 AM
Banned

What's the temp in your home? Is it climbing? If the temp increases, the outlet pressure from the tank will increase. However, since it's a 2-stage reg, this shouldn't happen unless it's faulty.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The temp inside has been 60-75.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
Late to this thread, didn't see it last week....
anyway,
The problem probably from pushing the output limit of the regulator, because it is 40 psi max(you can rise it to more than 40 psi, but after 40 psi, may not hold steady), the new diffuser is probably the atomizer type that require higher cracking pressure, and plus the back pressure from the check valve in the bubble counter(15-25 psi), total back pressure excess 40 psi output limit, and to adjust to higher output pressure, the regulator may not hold steady the output pressure.

there will be another higher output pressure system, to swap the one you have, hope everything will be ok.

add:
not sure what is wrong with the regulator now, I just check the record, the max output pressure on your system is 80 psi, I will find out what is wrong with it after the exchange.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 06-01-2014 at 03:56 AM. Reason: add

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode