Rust on slate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rust on slate?

I bought a piece of "Aquarium safe" slate from a fish store near me. All they do is fish and they had bins of different slates and clays. Anyways I've had it in my tank for almost 3 weeks, using it to hold down a big piece of drift wood. I noticed what looked like rust about a week ago, and it seems to keep spreading across the surface of the slate. I went to pick it up and some of it brushed off into the water which I thought was weird.

I called the fish store and the guy told me that it is aquarium safe. They buy it from their people and it is designed or mined for aquariums so he tells me it might be diatoms or debris, or chemical reaction to my water...

I haven't had any significant fish loss so no alarms going off yet but i'm still kind of worried.

Thanks, Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
While there is a lot of talk about metals like iron in the water, I never worry about the small amount I might add. a piece of slate may have some or not. But it will not be nearly as much as your water has been exposed to already!
Got a big old metal water tower somewhere in town?
Almost from the minute your tap water is captured, it is exposed to metals of all sorts. Pumps, pipes, valves and faucets are all made of metal. Depending on the building code in your area and the age of your house , your house plumbing may be metal. Normally only newer houses are plumbed with plastic.
So if you add some metal on a slate, how much does it effect things overall? Not as much as that big old cast iron fire hydrant out front?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
While there is a lot of talk about metals like iron in the water, I never worry about the small amount I might add. a piece of slate may have some or not. But it will not be nearly as much as your water has been exposed to already!
Got a big old metal water tower somewhere in town?
Almost from the minute your tap water is captured, it is exposed to metals of all sorts. Pumps, pipes, valves and faucets are all made of metal. Depending on the building code in your area and the age of your house , your house plumbing may be metal. Normally only newer houses are plumbed with plastic.
So if you add some metal on a slate, how much does it effect things overall? Not as much as that big old cast iron fire hydrant out front?
Makes sense when you put it that way....

Thank you lol I won't worry and will just keep up with my water changes (reverse osmosis)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't worry about it.

Slates generally considered safe, and people have been using it for decades in all kinds of successful setups.

It's quite possibly that the slate could have some rust staining from some iron compounds, but it would be a really small amount, and it wouldn't really brush off like you describe, so I suspect it's some sort of algae or possibly bacterial film. Either way, nothing to really worry about.

Also a pretty cheap source of slate is the flooring section of Home Depot/Lowes, or a landscape supply place if you want the big chunky types. You could probably buy more then you can carry for not much more then what one rock in a fish store costs.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I can tell you pretty confidently that If it was the Slate causing the "rust" it wouldn't just fall off like that.

More likely some form of fish excrement or algae.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm thinking you have diatoms.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I missed saying anything about the real worry! Yes, I would guess it is diatoms as well. If you brush your hand over it and it comes off real easy almost like silt on the bottom and floats around in a brownish cloud don't feel bad. Seems kind of almost a normal thing that comes to newish tank stuff and then leaves after a while.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I won't hammer the point on metal and fish/ plants being okay but I just read down to this posting. Check out the containers used!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=644210
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have some stone in a tank that has rust spots. They do not come off like that. A tiny bit might brush off, making a momentary cloud, but the main spot stays there and keeps on rusting.
The fish are just fine.
Now, this is not a lot of rust- a few nickel and dime size spots in 125 gallon tank.

I have seen some forms of slate that do have a LOT of rust (I do landscape design and installation). A rock that is that bad will be seen to be that bad in the store: It will already have some suspicious areas and when they get wet the rust is all over the place. Whether this is actually, geologically, slate I have no idea. It is rock that is cut into thin pieces and mortared onto walls, patios and so on. Then it rusts, staining everything under it.

I am with the other people and yourself: More likely diatoms or something.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode