Lace plant problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Three weeks ago I noticed little white hairs growing out of the bulb of my Madagascar lace. Since then it has spread across the top of the bulb. It looks like some sort of mold. It doesn't readily scrape off either. I don't know if I should be concerned or not. Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 12:13 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Other than the hairs is anything happening? Does the plant look OK, is there a funny smell, etc.? Are the leaves firmly attached to the bulb or do they pull out when you touch them?

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I thought it was going into dormancy as it started dropping most of its leaves. Their are 5 smaller leaves that don't look so good they feel "mushy" and look like they are melting, but there are some new leaves and they are in good shape. I rearranged the tank proir to this and the plant was doing fine. The bulb itself is still hard, its not soft at all.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 10:16 AM
PT Biologist

The firm bulb is a good sign though not conclusive. Get the bad leaves out of there. When you rearainged the tank did the plant have a root system started or is all of the growth leaves?

Mine are still flowering, the dormancy period for my tank is usually late August resuming growth in late September. How long are your lights on during the day?

Sean

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The root system was rather poor, there were few roots but they were still shallow. I lights are on a timer: 10 hrs. I added additional lights to the canapy. I now have 80 watts (65w. PC and 15w. Phillips aquarium tube) in a 29 gallon flat back hex tank. I have the lace plant off to the side shaded by sunset hygro so it doesn't get all that light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:24 AM
2la

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long have you had the plant, and what's the tank temperature? The fuzzy stuff sounds like algae but could be mold if the leaves are dying.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I bought it in November or December of last year. The tank temp is 78 F.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:52 PM
PT Biologist

Lace plants should develop huge root systems. I think your tank might be too warm for it. I have the heater in my 30 gallon lace plant tank set at 74F. It does get warmer in the tank do to the lighting but it cools off at night. Oddly enough I have apisto's spawning and raising fry in that tank. The NEW lace plant tank is a 56 column and the heater in there is set to 74 too, and I have at least 5 flowers in that tank at the moment.

Ten hours a day is a good light period for a lace plant, no more than 12 is a key I've found. I used to have lights on one tank for 14 hours, the lace in there didn't look so happy until I dropped the hours to 11.

The idea of 'shading' a lace plant is a myth created by someone who couldn't contol the algae growth in an aquarium. Lace plants love bright light. I have two 96 watt quad lamps over the 56 and the lace plants are looking oh so happy. I had 1 96 watt lamp over the 30 gallon tank and they were blooming in there for years.

What kind of substrate are you using?

BTW that lace plant should grow up and overshadow everything in a 29 gallon tank, they were smothering the 30 gallon tank I had them in.

Sean

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think Sean has found the key to growing them, a very rich-fertile substrate such as soil. I'm going to try and grow one in my tank that has castings/laterite, but the problem is it needs such a low temp.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Temperature may be the problem. The substrate is 2" of laterite(30%) and fine gravel (70) under 2" of flourite. Do you think I should pull the plant and scrub the bulb. I tried scrapping it of with my fingers but to no avail.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 12:00 PM
PT Biologist

No you need to get the plant growing, it will form a new bulb if you get it to produce a root system. I was sure my plants had abandoned the bulb s as the original bulbs broke apart and fell off the plants. I learned when I moved them to the new tank they had grown new bulbs. SO, get the plant established and what ever happens to the current bulb is of no consequence.

PM me your address, I'll send you a seedling, I think they are easier to adapt to new aquariums then the adult plants with bulbs.

Sean

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode