Water Test kits, help a newbie. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Test kits, help a newbie.

Hello everyone! Im 1 month in this hobby now and have experienced problems like algaes(green dust algae, green spot algae, green thread algae, black brush algae) I really think too much lighting is the main cause but Im not sure, I think I have fix most of my algae problems except for green dust algae(keeps coming back) and black brush algae(very small and unnoticable YET). For a month I only use test strips to test my water but the colors on the strips BARELY change...Either my water quality is ALWAYS very good or test strips are just useless, and since Im a newbie I dont think my water quality is always good..so test strips are just useless.

So yeah Im thinking on spending a little more on this hobby and get a proper test kit. What type of test kit do you think are the most needed and you recommend getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

API Master test kit is good but it is very inconvenient and i had a hard time matching colours. Your water might be good. Take it to a local LFS and have them test it and compare the results with yours.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Algae Grower

I know many people use the API master test kit. That said, algae problems are mostly caused by and imbalance of nutrients, CO2, and light. Of course the most common cause with low tech tanks is too much light. What size tank do you have, how long has it been running, and what equipment are you using?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Planted Member

+1 for the API Master test kit

make sure to get the freshwater version of the kit
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Api test kits are the most common you'll need ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, gh, kh, phosphate. Calibrating the test's you can is important, as far as I know you can only really calibrate nitrates and phosphates.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absntmind View Post
I know many people use the API master test kit. That said, algae problems are mostly caused by and imbalance of nutrients, CO2, and light. Of course the most common cause with low tech tanks is too much light. What size tank do you have, how long has it been running, and what equipment are you using?
15 gallon tank,my lighting is "Tetra Premium Led light" its only sold here in japan its specs are 1,670 lumens 10,000 kelvin white led, 460 nm(idk what that means) blue led and its running at 39W. Im running presurrized co2 at 1.5 bubbles per second and using a drop checker.

Also to mention that the fertilizers I use for my plants are Flourish comprehensive(every water change twice a week), Flourish Iron(every day) and Fourish Potassium(every other day).
And for water quality I use Aqua safe(every water change twice a week), some japanese liquid bacteria supplement(I have used it 3 times this month), and another japanese all around liquid supplement that boast to balance Ph, add the right minerals, prevents cloudy water, helps reduce ammonia and helps disintegrate fish wastes(every water change)..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
You may need to add the other macronutrients plants need. Specifically phosphate and nitrate. Are your plants growing well?

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Be careful dosing those nutrients, overdosing will probably be one of your major issues, neither of those are going to show up on your test general API test kit.

I don't dose with macro's personally, but it does sound like you are overdosing your iron and potassium. Try and stick with the more comprehensive Fertilizers these are easier to balance this can be especially hard to balance in the smaller aquariums.

I am currently using Sea-chem Flourish, flourish excel and flourish Tabs and these work great for me, have had no problems with yellowing or wilting. Keep in mind substrate is important as well plants can pull macro nutrients from there, I am using Eco-complete and Fluorite mix this has worked well for me.

Could you link the info for your LED array, 38 watts of LED for a 15 gallon sounds like to much, but 1600 Lumens sounds about right. Something is not adding up in that equation.

Keep in Mind your light cycle is very important, 7-9 hours should be your goal for a photo period, too little or too much will cause problems. If you have not invested in a timer do it now.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLsaget View Post
Be careful dosing those nutrients, overdosing will probably be one of your major issues, neither of those are going to show up on your test general API test kit.
You should absolutely be careful dosing these nutrients, especially nitrate. However if the plants don't have enough N, P, and K, they will not grow at their full potential. This can cause algae outbreaks. In my experience it's better to have a little too much NPK than too little as far as algae are concerned.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
10,000 kelvin white led, 460 nm(idk what that means)

Not much to add on the other stuff but this might help.
Kelvin is a kinda/sorta average of what color or frequency of light much of the light. there will be light in other freqs as well.
460 Nano meters if the wavelength of the light-much the same data as the kelvin expressed a different way.
Thought of as ocean waves that were very regular (which they are not!) the frequency would be how many waves per second while wave length would be how far from one wave top to the next??? 'Cept a nano meter is really, really short!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Newbie View Post
15 gallon tank,my lighting is "Tetra Premium Led light" its only sold here in japan its specs are 1,670 lumens 10,000 kelvin white led, 460 nm(idk what that means) blue led and its running at 39W. Im running presurrized co2 at 1.5 bubbles per second and using a drop checker.

Also to mention that the fertilizers I use for my plants are Flourish comprehensive(every water change twice a week), Flourish Iron(every day) and Fourish Potassium(every other day).
And for water quality I use Aqua safe(every water change twice a week), some japanese liquid bacteria supplement(I have used it 3 times this month), and another japanese all around liquid supplement that boast to balance Ph, add the right minerals, prevents cloudy water, helps reduce ammonia and helps disintegrate fish wastes(every water change)..
I think your light is definitely linked to your algae problem, it seems like a lot for a 15 gallon tank. Light and co2 are the main culprits behind algae, when those aren't right algae shows up. Liquid ferts are mostly water, dry ferts are much better and cheaper in the long run. Looks like your missing kno3 and phosphates two of the 3 macro nutrients. Although your fish and fish food are probably supplying some. Do the test strips you have test for nitrates and p04? If so, what are your readings? Test strips aren't very accurate but they should tell you if there is something in the water. Seems like you have the micro's down, I don't see the need for daily iron though, as your comprehensive has iron in it. Over dosing potassium isn't a problem, I do it all the time.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
You may need to add the other macronutrients plants need. Specifically phosphate and nitrate. Are your plants growing well?
I like to think that my plants are growing well, I already trimmed some of them because of too much growth, but Im not sure if they really are healthy since this is my first month in this hobby,

this thing is coming form my mini amazon swords

Here is a video I took around 2 weeks ago, my tank is 3 weeks old in this video(plants are planted the first day.Some of my glosso leaves has holes in them, I believe that they got shocked after I did a major trim on them,since it appeared after trimming them)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezBjqWYvQYE

aaaaand here is a pic I took this morning(some plants already trimmed couple of times since the video.)

I should also mention that the back part of my tank doesnt grow algae, only my front part since my lighting is sitting in the front part.I just want to make sure that too much lighting are the only cost of it and not imbalance/poor water quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLsaget View Post

I don't dose with macro's personally, but it does sound like you are overdosing your iron and potassium. Try and stick with the more comprehensive Fertilizers these are easier to balance this can be especially hard to balance in the smaller aquariums.

I am currently using Sea-chem Flourish, flourish excel and flourish Tabs and these work great for me, have had no problems with yellowing or wilting. Keep in mind substrate is important as well plants can pull macro nutrients from there, I am using Eco-complete and Fluorite mix this has worked well for me.

Could you link the info for your LED array, 38 watts of LED for a 15 gallon sounds like to much, but 1600 Lumens sounds about right. Something is not adding up in that equation.

Keep in Mind your light cycle is very important, 7-9 hours should be your goal for a photo period, too little or too much will cause problems. If you have not invested in a timer do it now.
Im not sure if I can post a foreign link in this forum but here it is anyway.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%86%E3...ra+premium+led
It automatically turn on and off, the blue leds turn on at 9 am to mimic morning light, at 10 am the white leds will turn on it will stay like that until 8 pm then the white leds turns off leaving the blue led on for 2 more hours to mimic evening light then completely turns off at 10 pm
Its for 60cm(15 gallon) up to 90cm(around 40 gallon) aquariums, they are the most popular aquarium sizes for a normal home in Japan.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-23-2014 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Back to back posts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode